The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Dropping Her Inside Shoulder/Flexing Issue (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/dropping-her-inside-shoulder-flexing-issue-125267/)

KGolden 05-30-2012 08:59 PM

Dropping Her Inside Shoulder/Flexing Issue

Now I might be crazy . And I thought we had gotten past this . But my mare lopes and turns beautifully to her left . Perfect arc, follows her nose, great . But to her right she's dull, and unresponsive . Even just loping without barrels she drops her inside shoulder . I've tried loping to the right, tightening my inside rein and pushing with my inside leg but it doesn't seem to work . What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it ?

And another thing: I used to be all about flexing and stretching every horse I rode . When I came to my new barn my trainer scolded me for flexing a horse I was riding . So I stopped . Well now she's gone and I've been flexing my mare . Once again, flexes great to her left but I feel like I'm literally dragging her into a flex to the right . Any tips on getting better flexion to benefit both sides ?
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 05-31-2012 02:08 AM

Can you post a video?

BarrelBunny 05-31-2012 12:15 PM

Well, IMO, your trainer sounds like an idiot. ALWAYS flex your horses. I don't know how much I could stress that. I think that you should do a lot of counter arcs to both sides, but mainly focus on the right side. Again, continue flexing, but mainly focus on the right side. Don't quit on the left side because then her left will get bad and her right will be the good side. A video would be nice. :-)

mls 05-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelBunny (Post 1525749)
Well, IMO, your trainer sounds like an idiot. ALWAYS flex your horses. I don't know how much I could stress that.

I would not call someone an idiot without all of the information. There are people who do flex TOO much and the horse is more like Gumby. One word heard wrong can change the meaning of what was said.

I do not 'always' flex just to flex. I warm up and cool down. I vary what I do so the horse doesn't anticpiate and then become cranky because the routine changed.

DrumRunner 05-31-2012 01:05 PM

I agree with mls, you can't know her problem by a few sentences posted in a thread. You could be extremely wrong and that not be her problem at all, that's why I asked to see a video before making any calls..

BarrelRacer23 05-31-2012 02:55 PM

A video would be great.

I just wanted to say some horses it's best not to flex them because of naturally being to bendy.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 06-02-2012 02:01 AM

I make flexing apart of the normal warmup routine, but that's beside the point. When you are loping around the rail, can you make your horse pick up the shoulder? Or is it just on tighter circles? Can you get her hind end down when going in a straight line?

BarrelBunny 06-02-2012 11:00 AM

Mls, I know, that was a bit harsh. :wink: I get kind of worked up about this specific topic. How do you expect your horse to be soft without flexing?? Thats JMO. I'll go hide in my hole again. :wink: carry on. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device