The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Polo Wraps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/polo-wraps-125368/)

Bobthebuilder 05-31-2012 02:10 PM

Polo Wraps

Hello :)
Lately i've been looking at polo wraps. I believe thats the correct english description anyways- I'd call them dressage bandages :p but yeah.
Now, some people SWEAR by using pads underneath, and nothing else.
And yet, there are bandages that are 'combination wraps'.
Basically half fleece and half elastic- they don't require pads.
Then theres fleece bandages that apparently don't always need pads under.
(Im discussing working bandages- not stable wraps btw :) )
So. What do you guys think- and why?
Thank you! :)

Jierda 05-31-2012 02:53 PM

Fleece bandages definitely won't need pads underneath as far as I know.. As for elastic, if you want to put them tight enough that they won't slip, I think you will need pads if you want to make it comfortable at all for you horse.

I'm just wondering, why would you use wraps/bandages? It's only a piece of fabric without any hard parts to protect, shock absorption is minimal unless you put on really thick ones (or a thick padding), and for me the most important part - heat build-up. If you have ever worn a fleece vest, I think you know how warm those things are. Excessive heat (and heat builds up FAST in a working horse) can do damage to tendons - while you're trying to protect them? If your horse needs protection, I think you'd be much better off investing in some durable tendon boots or wraps (the stretchy ones with velcro) with good airflow.

Bobthebuilder 05-31-2012 03:30 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Bobthebuilder 05-31-2012 03:40 PM

Very good point. To be honest I'm still on the fence about bandages in general, so I was hoping this would help me build my own view on it- rather than being spoonfed from various trainers :)
Posted via Mobile Device

crimsonsky 05-31-2012 04:34 PM

i use polos solely for the look as i don't find they offer any support or real protection other than perhaps small "dings" or something of that sort.

Corporal 05-31-2012 04:49 PM

If you decide to use them, make sure that you desensitize your horse with them BeFORE you ride him. It seems like an assumption, but it's worth mentioning.

crimsonsky 05-31-2012 05:23 PM

corporal - have you had a horse who objected to wraps?

Corporal 05-31-2012 05:26 PM

No. But I HAVE seen horses who have never been wrapped before who panic the first time that they are wrapped. I guess I'd rather someone verbally slap me than to read that they were thrown bc of this. They don't come trained to wraps or halters or saddles or ANY apparatus we choose to use on them.

crimsonsky 05-31-2012 06:12 PM

i was just curious is all. two of the three horses i own had never seen wraps or boots before i got them (one was 8mths old when i brought him home so..) and neither of them thought anything of it the first time i wrapped or booted them. they're the only experience i have with a horse new to such things so i was just wondering.

Corporal 05-31-2012 06:14 PM

I'm guessing that foals are a lot like dogs, in that if they have been handled a great deal, they are game for new things.