The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meet Gem (pic heavy)

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  blue eyed pony 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm caving and going to give this a whorl. I know very little about conformation, so I hopethis will be educational. Gem and I trail ride, do endurance and play around with small jumps in the arena. I don't show or plan on ever breeding her. I think she is gorgeous and wouldn't mind a baby looking like her, but would not want to pass on her princessy, stubborn, highly opinionated personality eventhough I love it. So just for my education - what do you think? Good, bad, ugly? She has never been lame (to date anyway), has rock solid barefeet and has carried me up, over and across many miles.

I hope these pictures are ok. I took them for saddle fitting purposes mainly. The first group is in the winter and I will make a second group from the spring when she was shedded out.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
She's a cool looking horse! I'm used to refined show horses, so this is a great break from critiquing those. What is her breed?

The only thing I really see consistently in these photos is high withers. Not really a bad thing, but judges don't like it (my horse has high withers too, and we've never placed in a halter class xD). Since you aren't showing, it makes no difference. I only see that her neck is a bit short, and her head is connected low.
I'm not too grand at leg conformation, but she definitely looks very solid.

#4 ·
Well, she is toed in in front, especially her Right side, her neck is small for her body, and she seems to be camped out but I do not know if she is just standing odd.

All in all I like her though :) She is a solid little ******!

#5 ·
Thanks guys!

She is a 15h ArabxQH, 14 yo. She is technically registered breeding stock pinto and half arab. Her papers list mostly arabians with a QH way back in the line, but I haven't looked that closely at them ina couple years.

She tends to toe out with her back left foot or at least she does more than the right. She does look camped out. It could be form me getting her to stand square, but I will pay attention tomorrow at the barn and see if she stands like that on her own.

#6 ·
Why do you want to breed her if you dont want her to pass her personality ?
She is wither high , and it would be difficult to "breed out" that trait.
many heavy foundation quarter horses toe in , on the front, and will be flat footed also, the bull dog style quarters ( my fav's)
You have a nice little mare . Enjoy her and if you want a baby, go to a sale and pic one up. There are probably lots of grade/mixed breed babies that could use a good home. :)

#10 · (Edited)
That's not a high wither... That's a moderate wither. It's smaller than my boy's, and I don't think his is high. It IS high for a QH because so many of them barely have a wither at all, but it's not high... not by any stretch of the imagination. I met a horse whose wither was literally 6 inches high! He measured 16.2 but rode smaller than my boy who is 15.2 with a 3-ish inch wither.

I like her. Maybe a bit posty behind, looks it in some photos and not in others. I like her neck set in some photos, again not in others. She's built nice and level, I like her shoulder, and the angle of her pasterns but not the length, they are a tad short.

One of the few stock-bred horses that I would buy (bearing in mind I showjump and event with goals of high-level so I NEED a horse that's built level to uphill)... I love her actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.