The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Another mini feeding question (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/another-mini-feeding-question-125373/)

steedaunh32 05-31-2012 02:55 PM

Another mini feeding question

It looks like where we are moving to will have some very luscious pastures. Our plan it to have the small run-in shelter fenced in on a dry lot (where they'll spend the majority of their time), and fence another larger pasture that we can turn them out to graze for a few hours a day. My question is, if they're getting 2-3 hours grazing every afternoon, do I need only to add a small bit of grain to their daily intake? And in the winter, hay and grain to supplement? Does anyone feed free choice round bale in the winters? Thanks in advance.

Failbhe 06-06-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steedaunh32 (Post 1526076)
It looks like where we are moving to will have some very luscious pastures. Our plan it to have the small run-in shelter fenced in on a dry lot (where they'll spend the majority of their time), and fence another larger pasture that we can turn them out to graze for a few hours a day. My question is, if they're getting 2-3 hours grazing every afternoon, do I need only to add a small bit of grain to their daily intake? And in the winter, hay and grain to supplement? Does anyone feed free choice round bale in the winters? Thanks in advance.

We do free feed round bales in the winter. In the summer I really try to keep an eye on their weight, but the winter doesn't seem to be too much of a problem - plus, if they have a little bit of extra padding that's not bad for our -40 January nights!

We also try to make sure that the bales we get are pretty low in alfalfa content. There are a lot of dairy farms around here, so most hay is way too rich for free feeding - especially since our horses really aren't worked very much in the winter.

Your setup sounds pretty perfect, with a dry lot and pasture. We only had pasture, and for a while that was fine (when our minis had younger metabolisms) but this year they've really gained a lot. So we're finally making a dry lot. I think it'll be really nice to have and I'm surprised we haven't done it sooner. About the grain supplementing - I'd like to know, too! :-)