The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Hackamores (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hackamores-12540/)

appylover31803 07-31-2008 09:51 PM

Hackamores

This horse that i went to see today prefers a hackamore to a bit.

I rode him in a mechanical hackamore and i know how sever those can be. Atleast i think it was.. it did have shanks on it.

So what are some other bitless things i could get for him that would be comfortable?

I was looking into the bitless bridle, but i'm not sure how they work or anything like that.

Thanks so much!

Harlee rides horses 07-31-2008 10:26 PM

Bosal?

Cat 07-31-2008 10:34 PM

I like riding in a bosal or a Little S hack (looking for one right now). While a Little S is a "mechanical hack" it has shorter shanks and designed to be a milder hack.

But remember - hackamores are just tools and its the hands that use them that make them harsh or not.

Harlee rides horses 07-31-2008 10:37 PM

No, I know what they all are, I was just suggesting a bosal lol.

appylover31803 07-31-2008 11:47 PM

can those be used for english as well?

I was looking into a bosal for Gem but i heard that it can rub them on their nose.. but i guess anything can rub them on their nose if it goes across it.

I'll look into different kinds/types. Not 100% sure i'm getting that horse but just wanted to know.

Bitless 08-01-2008 01:33 AM

You could always try a english hackamore, the least severe type of hackamore there is, with shorter shanks and soft leather noseband. I have attached a pic for you to see it.
Its what i use on one of my horses, but i have swaped the chin chain for just a leather strap. I love the thing and it works great on my boy.

http://www.horsetackinternational.co...-hackamore.jpg

there are also the bosals( like mentioned above), side pulls and of course the cross over or rope halter type bitless bridles.

kitten_Val 08-01-2008 06:41 AM

Sidepull may be? You have to wrap the nose ropes to make it soft and it'll be no problem. Bitless bridle could be a choice, however I personally don't like the idea of how reins are attached there.

appylover31803 08-01-2008 10:40 AM

I like the english hackamore.

Yesterday he didn't have a chin chain, just a piece of twin and he was great, so i really don't think he'll need a chain.

Here's a stupid question, is turning a horse with a hackamore the same thing? It's based off of pressure?
I've never ridden a horse with a hackamore before, but i have ridden Gem with a rope halter, so i guess it's pretty much the same.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! :)

HooverH 08-02-2008 12:39 PM

Yes, turning with a hack is exactly the same as a bit. Since he's used to turning with it, you shouldn't even have to worry about him making pressure adjustments.

Also, to keep him from misplacing or rubbing the hack off, he does need some kind of curb...you can get soft leather or nylon and just curb him loose if he doesn't need it for cues. If he tosses his head, without the curb the hack could fly up and hit him in the face.

appylover31803 08-02-2008 12:46 PM

i was thinking of getting a leather strap if a hack I saw only came with a curb chain.

Well its good to know its just the same as riding with a bit and everything. He already knows it, so it's just be learning, but I'm sure i'll pick up on it quickly