The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   BIT RECALL Happy mouth bits recalled today! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bit-recall-happy-mouth-bits-recalled-125408/)

Cinnys Whinny 05-31-2012 09:49 PM

BIT RECALL Happy mouth bits recalled today!

1 Attachment(s)
I just came across this. As of Today, Many "happy mouth" bits have been recalled.

Happy Mouth Bit Recall Information

This really SUCKS, I finally find a bit that Cinny LOVES, and it's recalled. I can check it every single day and still use it until something else comes out, but not sure I should risk it. and I bet they are back off the "show legal" list until it get straightened out. Just wanted to share the news.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 31, 2012
Release #12-190 Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 569-1600
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
English Riding Supply Recalls Wire Mouth Bits for Horses Due to Risk of Injury

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Happy Mouth Wire Mouth Bits

Units: About 3,400

Importer: English Riding Supply Inc., of Scranton, Pa.

Manufacturer: Soyo International Corp, of Kobe, Japan

Hazard: The steel braided wire in the mouthpiece that connects the bit on either side of the horse’s cheeks can become frayed, rusted or worn, which can cause the bit to break. If this happens, the rider can lose control and fall from the horse.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received four reports of wire bits that have broken and resulted in reports of injuries including broken and fractured bones, bruises and back pain from falls.

Description: This recall involves eight models of Happy Mouth wire mouth bits used with a bridle in horseback riding. The bits involved in this recall have steel braided wire running through the plastic mouthpiece and most with a metal ring on each end. Model numbers included in the recall are 462172SS, 462177SS, 462181SS, 462184SS, 464123SS, 466898SS, 466904SS and 467248SS. Model numbers can be found on a label attached to the product. “Happy Mouth” is engraved on the plastic mouthpiece.

Sold at: Equestrian riding stores, tack shops, saddlery dealers nationwide, through mail order and by online equestrian retailers from July 2003 through April 2012 for between $30 and $51.

Manufactured in: Korea

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using these bits and return them to the retailer where purchased or return the bits directly to English Riding Supply for a refund.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, please contact English Riding Supply toll-free at (866) 569-1600 between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at English Riding Supply, Horse riding equipment in USA. Consumers can also email the firm at hmbits@englishridingsupply.com

Attachment 100389

gypsygirl 05-31-2012 10:02 PM

shoot ! i just bought 2 happy mouth loose rings with rollers !

Cinnys Whinny 05-31-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1526555)
shoot ! i just bought 2 happy mouth loose rings with rollers !

Look at the model number and see if they are the same because they recently changed them and I think the recall is for the older one. I have the roller, but it's model 452801 which isn't on the list and the sticker says "Peanut bit" but it is a double link roller.... I bought mine from smartpak so I'm going to verify with them in the morning... Cinny's doesn't appear to have a "wire" either it's something else.

Eolith 05-31-2012 11:47 PM

I've never really liked Happy Mouth bits after I found out how easily the plastic material can be gouged by the horse chewing on it, resulting in sharp edges and rough spots... which seems far more uncomfortable/painful on gums and lips than smooth metal.

Cinnys Whinny 06-01-2012 03:19 PM

I called SmartPak today regarding the recall and they told me that they have not sold any of the recalled bits for at least 6 months, so if you bought yours from SmartPak recently (as did I) it is made differently than the recalled ones and is not part of the recall. Mine is a Happy Mouth Loose Ring Roller (labeled peanut bit), and it has a different model number.....and is NOT part of the recall...whew.

I advice anybody that has these bits to check it often (as suggested in the instructions) and/or call the retailer you bought it from to see if it's part of the recall.