The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Husband Appreciates My Horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/husband-appreciates-my-horse-125410/)

Walkamile 05-31-2012 10:18 PM

Husband Appreciates My Horse!

All it took, was a trail ride with a trainer friend and another friend on one of the trainers horses! Our trainer put Don on a little mare that , well , let's just say she's a bit "jumpy" on the trail. I think the trainer thought Don knew more then he does because last year on a ride, Don rode T, and looked good and had great control of her.

What Don discovered is that T is a very well trained and sane horse. He told the trainer, after the second time he was off the horse, that T is controlled with a loose rein and mostly seat and legs. That she is smooth and not much bothers her, like a branch whipping her in the face. Unfortunately, the little mare he was on did not appreciate that and he went off her.:shock: After the second time, the trainer swapped horses with him and no further incidents happened for Don. Other then a new appreciation for my mare T.

He even told our trainer what a terrific job I've done with T, and doing the same with Walka! I'm so proud of hubby, and glad he is "seeing" that a good , steady trail horse who is a joy to ride is not often times born, but is made, with much work.

Now I need to teach Don a little trail sense and a centered seat! :wink:

Just wanted to share.

chandra1313 05-31-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 1526573)
All it took, was a trail ride with a trainer friend and another friend on one of the trainers horses! Our trainer put Don on a little mare that , well , let's just say she's a bit "jumpy" on the trail. I think the trainer thought Don knew more then he does because last year on a ride, Don rode T, and looked good and had great control of her.

What Don discovered is that T is a very well trained and sane horse. He told the trainer, after the second time he was off the horse, that T is controlled with a loose rein and mostly seat and legs. That she is smooth and not much bothers her, like a branch whipping her in the face. Unfortunately, the little mare he was on did not appreciate that and he went off her.:shock: After the second time, the trainer swapped horses with him and no further incidents happened for Don. Other then a new appreciation for my mare T.

He even told our trainer what a terrific job I've done with T, and doing the same with Walka! I'm so proud of hubby, and glad he is "seeing" that a good , steady trail horse who is a joy to ride is not often times born, but is made, with much work.

Now I need to teach Don a little trail sense and a centered seat! :wink:

Just wanted to share.

A good trail horse is priceless.

kait18 06-01-2012 01:59 PM

sounds like my brother but the ending was he never wanted to be near a horse again because you actually had to work and not just sit there lol :( glad your hubby is realizing the hard work you have done :) keep it up

Failbhe 06-01-2012 02:54 PM

My husband is such a marshmallow... he just wants to pet them and feed them and have them be his friend. :P I tried riding with him once and my gelding walked all over him. Now we're down to one riding horse and honestly I would like a second, to ride with friends or to teach Kevin how to ride properly, but I'm not sure if it would get enough attention. And Kevin is determined to get a draft... not sure why, he just is...

Walkamile 06-01-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1527366)
sounds like my brother but the ending was he never wanted to be near a horse again because you actually had to work and not just sit there lol :( glad your hubby is realizing the hard work you have done :) keep it up

He's still praising my mare and my training of her. I'm feeling so good and well, kinda proud of myself . He told me today that even T's "steering" was better then either of the horses he rode. Of course, not having been there, I'm not sure exactly what he was doing, as I know those horses are well trained. Just makes me happy that he is so proud of T!:happydance: