The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique My Curly Horse Mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-curly-horse-mare-125418/)

ButtInTheDirt 05-31-2012 11:28 PM

Critique My Curly Horse Mare?

6 Attachment(s)
I was just sort of wondering what everyone thought of her. I personally do not entirely like her look, or at least her back end. Just one of those things I can't exactly put my finger on but her hip looks almost flat? Just tell me what you all think. She is pregnant by the way, but we bought her that way and are planning on using her as a trail horse, not a broodmare. So this will be her last foal.

Her gaits are very clumsy, slow and floppy and she doesn't really seem to know where the heck she is moving herself. Is this just because of how she is built or if I got her to pay attention do you think I could break her of this? What do you think she has potential for? She may be 18 but I still think I could get some more good years of riding out of her. What sort of exercises do you think I could do with her to build muscles? Can I get her hips to look less 'hollow'?

I know the pictures aren't the best but their what I've got and she is stacked pretty evenly in a few of them so it is better than most. ;3 Thank you all in advance. ;3

Her breed is American Bashkir Curly and this is her pedigree; Curly Horse Pedigree Database - Detailed Horse Information

tinyliny 06-01-2012 02:07 AM

Her conformation is a little bit like a draft horse; she has an upright, though strong looking, shoulder. Her hind legs are a bit "posty" and her back is on the long side, her front legs are set quite wide. The wide front legs with long back could have something to do with having a rolling gait that might look clumsy. She has great bone and a cute face. Will be interesting to see the baby. do you know what the sire is?

ButtInTheDirt 06-01-2012 09:22 AM

The sire is also a Curly, if you want to look him up on the website with her pedigree is on it his name is 'MCH Buddy'. They are both ABC registered and so long as the foal is curly it should be registerable as well. Then I can get it ICHO registered, too.

Thanks for the comment. They told us when we got her that she was so much a percent of Suffolk lines where she probably gets her drafty look from. Tenakee is such a sweet girl and always is the first one to come up to you in the pasture. Even out of some very friendly horses she is the most interested. My dad loves her look but he stole my more cow pony like Curly mare and broke her so now Tenny is my project.
Posted via Mobile Device

ilostmyzipper 06-02-2012 09:35 PM

Super Cute! I love all horses! It seems like it would be hard to groom her though.

CLaPorte432 06-02-2012 10:03 PM

893 Attachment(s)
She has a very high tail set which is why I'm thinking her hind end is quite "off" looking. Like Tiny said she's posty in the back, has a steep shoulder and is very drafty looking.

She has that "broodmare look" to her so I think once she foals and starts being ridden regularly, she'll look better. Her back is longer. But she look so sweet and nice. I love her neck as face.

My step-aunt leased Buddy for a season, I remember him well. He is built quite heavy as well. He's only about 14.2-14.3...You'll have one stacked baby for sure...

equiniphile 06-02-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1529171)
She has a very high tail set which is why I'm thinking her hind end is quite "off" looking.

I think you hit the nail on the head on this one. I did a quick PS job and "moved" her tail down, and her hip isn't too shabby when the tail is in the right place. Very pretty mare, has a typical shoulder common to pulling drafts that need strength through the front end. Will be interesting to see the foal, any pics of the sire?

CLaPorte432 06-02-2012 10:14 PM

893 Attachment(s)
http://www.curlyhorses.info/Upload/5828.jpg

I had more pictures that I took of him when my step-aunt leased him, but I can't find them. I think they may be on the old computer. The small attached picture was one of them, but I had a body shot somewhere too...?

ButtInTheDirt 06-03-2012 12:13 AM

6 Attachment(s)
ilostmyzipper; Thanks! She actually isn't too bad, but if she were to be pastured somewhere with burrs and get them in her little 'foot beards' as my friend so lovingly calls them, it could be a problem. But they actually retain a lot of dust in those curls, though.

CLaPorte432; Looking at her I can see that about her tail. Just one of those things where I know something is off but just need someone to point out what. That was what I wanted to hear, because her muscling seems sort of poor at this point and I was hoping I could get her back into shape. I got to meet Buddy but not really get a complete feel for his personality.

equiniphile; I have a few pictures of him that I can upload. I also will post some of her colt from last year who also was sired by Buddy. That colt was actually straight-coated. I'm hoping for a curly-coated filly, so sort of the opposite of her last foal.

ButtInTheDirt 06-09-2012 11:22 AM

Anyone else?