The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Do You Lock Up? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/do-you-lock-up-125425/)

xJumperx 05-31-2012 11:20 PM

Do You Lock Up?

I was wondering if anyone locks their horse's stall for shows. I'm not talking tack stalls, o mean the stall your horse stays in. Wondering about the pros and cons, if you wanted to list those :)

I am thinking about locking Cowboy up for this next show. Combination lock. With all the drugs ... stealing ... I may be paranoid, but he's my baby. Id die if I lost him...

Oxer 05-31-2012 11:26 PM

nope. i've been to some of the biggest shows in our area. Thermal, HITS, etc... and truth be told, there's more security there than there is at my own barn! I myself wouldn't do it, only for fear that my horse would have some kind of emergency and no one would be able to get in right away.

cakemom 05-31-2012 11:28 PM

If there were a fire or he were in distress noone could get him out. I'd sooner invest in a video camera monitor system than lock my babies in.
I'm so glad life has not come to this for us here. Our show barns are so wonderful.
Posted via Mobile Device

xJumperx 05-31-2012 11:32 PM

It hasn't become an issue at the show barn we are going to, but I am just .... protective, I suppose. I did think about the fire hazard. Leaning towards don't, nit still interested to get toyed peoples takes...

caseymyhorserocks 06-01-2012 12:59 AM

Absolutely not. Fires, earthquakes (if you get them there) natural disasters, or if the horse is sick and some kind person notices and calls the vet..

alexischristina 06-01-2012 01:26 AM

No no no.
We tie the stalls so the cheeky buggers can't get out, and my coach does it in such a way that I suppose we would notice if somebody mucked around with our leads but other than that nope. No way. Too many risks.

OuttatheBlue 06-01-2012 06:18 AM

Nope! for all the reasons mentioned. I had one show i was worried about some kids messing with my horse so I tired the lead rope in a special way and took a picture. That seemed to keep them out
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-01-2012 06:57 AM

You'd have to commit me if I did. The risk of a fire, colic, or other problem where no one could get to him but you is huge.

themacpack 06-01-2012 07:36 AM

No.....my concern for.safety in case.of emergency evacuation outweighs any security that would provide.

cowboy bowhunter 06-01-2012 12:13 PM

It depends. My team pennings and sorting i never lock the stall. But if i was in a big city or at a state fair i would lock the stall and sleep next to it.
I know several people who go to the sate fair and they rule is 1 person by the stalls at all time.