The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What's Barrel Racing then? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/whats-barrel-racing-then-125442/)

Bobby Lee 06-01-2012 07:17 AM

What's Barrel Racing then?

I know what barrel racing is, and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm English and male and have only ever ridden English style in the traditional events. But this barrel racing does look fun and more accessible than most other rodeo events.

But what's the deal? Is it women and girls only? I'm not planning on trying it, not unless I get a new horse lol. And i dont think there are even any events in the uk. Just curious!

WesternBella 06-01-2012 08:04 AM

Typically girls do barrel racing (at least where I live.)

BUT, I have seen many men compete in local jackpots (everyone puts in money & whoever has the fastest time wins all the money)

In fact, my trainer is a male. He has had some of the fastest times in my province.

That being said, you typically don't see men in the professional rodeos & bigger, more expensive barrel competitions.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacer23 06-01-2012 10:17 AM

Actually theres alot of men who barrel race. Most of the top futurity riders are men who barrel race for a living. NBHA and IBRA are both big associations where men and women both compete at small shows and very big shows. Rodeos are really where its only a womans sport.
Posted via Mobile Device

katbalu 06-01-2012 10:23 AM

I saw someone barrel race and pole bend in an English saddle just the other day at a local show
Posted via Mobile Device

Bobby Lee 06-01-2012 06:55 PM

I might look into this. I know there's a local livery and the owner is into barrel racing. He might be worth speaking to, it sounds like a lot of fun.

tasunke 06-01-2012 07:20 PM

I've seen some men run barrels. It's an all gender sport. :)

SorrelHorse 06-01-2012 07:27 PM

In the PRCA Barrel Racing is an all-womens sport....But, there are no rules for local shows, NBHA, IBRA, jackpots, etc. In fact there are a lot of guys at our local associations that run. Gymkhanas have a lot of guys running.

DrumRunner 06-01-2012 07:30 PM

I know a lot of men who run barrels.. If you have the opportunity to try it go for it! It's an awesome sport and it's always nice to try something different!

Bobby Lee 06-01-2012 07:50 PM

This forum has kind of opened my eyes to an alternative method of riding to be honest. I won't lie, but what you guys call english will always be my go to. But it's like learning another discipline, this western riding shenanigans lol. I've got such a desire to try it out now, and see how it works (if it works ;))

DrumRunner 06-01-2012 08:20 PM

That's a good thing! Western will always be my "go to" but I've ridden english a few times and I don't mind it..It's nice to learn something new.. Come to the dark side.. We have bright colors and cookies!