The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Any Advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/any-advice-125505/)

horselover21 06-01-2012 09:23 PM

Any Advice?

So I'm 15 and I am seriously considering horse training for my career. I'm just not sure how to get started. I would like to start when I'm younger. I already trained my horse from scratch and he is now a consistent barrel horse so I do know how to train a horse. I have worked with a couple trainers in the past but nothing major.

Any ideas of where I can start or how I can get some more experience?
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 06-02-2012 10:16 AM

Just because you have trained one horse does not make you a trainer. It helps but believe me, if barely makes a ripple on a pond for all that you have to learn.

Find yourself a job with a known trainer and spend the next few years learning.

horselover21 06-02-2012 12:52 PM

Oh sorry, let me rephrase that. I have a TINY bit of experience with working with horses :)
Posted via Mobile Device

palominolover 06-02-2012 01:35 PM

I agree with Foxhunter. A tiny bit of experience will not get you ANYWHERE. You need a lot more than that. I suggest you find a trainer and work for YEARS until you know a fair amount, and them MAYBE you'll gain respect from people and become a knowledgeable horse trainer. There is absolutely NO advantage to starting young. And unless you prove that you are EXTREMELY talented nobody will want you to train their horse.

Cinnys Whinny 06-02-2012 01:49 PM

It helps to start riding different horses, many different horses. The more horses you ride the better as they all have different personalities and temperaments. What works for one horse may not work on another horse. It may be slow going finding the different horses to ride until again, you earn peoples respect and trust. When I was 15 I had one person who would let me work his horse... slowly over the years it built up until when I was 22 I was working 5 horses. Not training, just exercising.

If you are really serious about this, one of my suggestions is... even if you have your own property, if you can afford it, have your horse at a boarding stable for a while. In this way people will see your horse, how you treat it, how you work with it and can better form an opinion of you. Once people know you, then you can slip to people that if they ever go on vacation, or need someone to get their horse out, let you know, you'd be more than happy to exercise them. This is how I started working with the horses that I did.

Once you start getting a GOOD reputation with other horse owners I would start contacting trainers and let then know that you want to learn about training and ask if you could apprentice for a summer or so on. Mind you, this is work you will most likely NOT get paid for. You will also most likely start with grunge work (mucking stalls, grooming horses) until you earn their trust and respect. You must always show THEM respect and not talk back.. something that can be hard for anyone.

julianeAHS 06-02-2012 07:21 PM

Completely agree that riding as many horses as you can is the only way you're going to learn. Also, reputation is everything. I'm 17, about to turn 18, and I like to think I'm on the right track: I started with an apprenticeship. I found a local trainer who let me learn/work for free in exchange for barn work. I had to work 9-12 hour days but it was worth it. Then, I found a more well-known trainer (Roddy Strang) and pursued an apprenticeship with him, which I got, and this exposed me to many different training issues that I learned to combat.
If you have the motivation, you can do it! It's all about drive. Don't let anyone get you down. E-mail me if you want to chat :)
-Juliane

Skyseternalangel 06-02-2012 07:33 PM

Intern with many trainers. Not only will you gain first hand experience with various projects, but you'll get onsite training and tips and will be a lot better off than just riding a bunch of horses and working with a trainer a few times, etc.

horselover21 06-03-2012 08:57 PM

Thanks. I have a few trainers in my area, but don't go there much. I do help excercise horses at a barn nearby. Its a small barn and she only has a few boarders, but hey, it's a start :)

And I'm sorry if some of you misunderstood me. I do not claim to be a trainer nor did I claim to know all there was about training horses. I know that I have ALOT to learn. I was just asking for some advice. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device