The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Tracking the miles... (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/tracking-miles-125621/)

AnitaAnne 06-02-2012 11:46 PM

Tracking the miles...

What kind of device is good for tracking the distance ridden?

I want to be able to know how far I ride, and maybe how fast too. I know there are lots of other features available, like tracking or recording the heartrate and travel path.

Does anyone have any advice for a simple, inexpensive device to begin with???

Celeste 06-03-2012 11:45 PM

I use a Garmin Venture etrex. It works pretty good. I enjoy the software that comes with it because I upload the data to my computer and then I can pull up a map of my ride in google earth. I keep track of my rides in an excel file.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Venture-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000PDR230

AnitaAnne 06-03-2012 11:50 PM

Thank you Celeste! That looks like a good value for the price! Does it work in the mountains?

jillybean19 06-04-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1530520)
I use a Garmin Venture etrex. It works pretty good. I enjoy the software that comes with it because I upload the data to my computer and then I can pull up a map of my ride in google earth. I keep track of my rides in an excel file.

Amazon.com: Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation

I also use this! The only pitfall is that you can't wear it on your wrist, which would be nice. However, you DO get map tracks and some extra features with this that I doubt you can get in a wrist GPS, so all in all I'm very happy with it. It works off satellites, so as long as you don't have a giant structure in between you and the sky (such as a pesky indoor arena made of cement :/) you're good to go. I set my trip computer to show the time, current avg and max speeds, moving and total time, my current trip odometer and finally my annual odometer. You can even upload your tracks and show your trip on Google Earth I believe, but I haven't done it yet.

AnitaAnne 06-04-2012 08:50 AM

This one is looking better & better...thanks Jilly!

So, where do you hold/attach this unit since it is not a wrist style? I would guess it has to be out of a pocket to work?

jillybean19 06-04-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnitaAnne (Post 1530884)
This one is looking better & better...thanks Jilly!

So, where do you hold/attach this unit since it is not a wrist style? I would guess it has to be out of a pocket to work?

So far, its worlked in my saddle bag, map pack, and cashel ankle safe bag. I really think the only things tht block the signal are solid cement walls - mine even picks up th signal in my living room if I give it a moment. I like putting it in the map pack attached to my horse because it has a clear font and hangs off my breast collar, so I can check it easily without having to actually get it out. Plus, if I go off the horse and the horse finds its way back home (or camp!), it would be easy for others to find my GPS and then follow the track on it to find me!

Celeste 06-04-2012 11:13 AM

I usually wear a vest made for fly fisherman because it has a ton of pockets. I put it in the pocket. The only time that I had it not work well was deep in the woods under a heavy canopy of leaves on a cloudy day. I went on that same trail on a nice day and it worked great.

AnitaAnne 06-04-2012 03:05 PM

Well, it sounds perfect for what I want! I have been reading the reviews and it sounds like the map loading can be tricky, but I am not sure a map is so needed anyway if I have a paper map. I can take his HR with my extra stethoscope.

However, since I get lost in the woods even on well marked trails, I think I will keep the thing on me so I can make it back out!!! Maybe put a note on Chivas - if you find this horse saddled and loose, please send someone to find me cause we started out together...

Right now I am just going to ride in the pasture, but a friend has invited me to his property to ride, and he owns about 100 acres +/- with a "gallop" around the perimeter that has some jumps too. He used to raise TB for racing when we had a racetrack here. Sould be a good way to start him out before trailering further to some trails in the Talladega Preserve.

Thank you ladies:D

Celeste 06-04-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnitaAnne (Post 1531360)
Maybe put a note on Chivas - if you find this horse saddled and loose, please send someone to find me cause we started out together...

:D

Sounds like a great idea!!

Joe4d 06-04-2012 03:41 PM

the foretrex 301 and now even better the 401 are great. The 401 adds the ability to attach a heart rate monitor. With the 401 coming out the 301's are about $109. It is wrist wearable and has worked for me int he woods, in the mountains pretty much everywhere. The think I like is that is uses regularl AAA batteries. Most of the wrist GPS's are made for joggers and have built in rechargeable batteries that only last a couple hours. The foretrex's last over 20 hours continuous on 2 AAA batteries and you can carry spares. They also have the ability to store a waypoint,,, as in where you parked the trailer, and you can go to a screen and it tells you direction and distance to the waypoint.