The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Whose horse like trimming? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/whose-horse-like-trimming-125648/)

mtngrl7500 06-03-2012 01:58 AM

Whose horse like trimming?

I always hear/see of so many horses that don't like being trimmed (some worse than others), but whose horses actually like it and enjoy it? I thought about this as I was touching up my girl today. She loves a trim! I don't know if the vibration feels good or what, but I have to be careful to not trim too much as she turns her face/neck where she wants the blades to go. Example, while trimming her jaw she'll roll her face and kinda lightly push into the blade...it's like she's saying "oh here, do this spot here". She closes her eyes and just looks so serene!

Faceman 06-03-2012 10:14 AM

I have an Araloosa that always goes to sleep while being trimmed...

ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr 06-03-2012 11:12 AM

That's cute!
However, IMO I think it totally depends on how the horse has been handled when it comes to 'do they like being trimmed?'
Horses will accept it, and some will generally enjoy it, but you could get someone who has no idea about approaching a horse with trimmers for the first time and the horse will then learn to 'fear' and 'hate' it...

equiniphile 06-03-2012 11:59 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day. I have two that tolerate it and two that love it. My Paso lets me trim him over the stall door, I do his nose and ears and he just stands with his head hanging over the door for it.

My Thoroughbred mare literally falls asleep when I clip her. After about two minutes her head is six inches from the ground and I'm squatting by her head trying to trim her when she's half-asleep with her eyes closed. I'll try to get a video, it's too cute! This mare was sold to me as a "never take a pair of clippers within a 10-mile radius of her ears" kind of horse.

mtngrl7500 06-03-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr (Post 1529815)
That's cute!
However, IMO I think it totally depends on how the horse has been handled when it comes to 'do they like being trimmed?'
Horses will accept it, and some will generally enjoy it, but you could get someone who has no idea about approaching a horse with trimmers for the first time and the horse will then learn to 'fear' and 'hate' it...

No argument here, I totally agree with that. I've seen people not even try to get a horse to willingly accept trimming...they uses twitches and whatever means of force neccesary for the fight the horse puts up. Thankfully none of mine have ever been fearful of being trimmed, but they were always just tolerant of it. I've never had one that just really seemed to enjoy it. I've had her since a yearling and she's 15 now, but she's the only mare I've ever owned. I tell my husband it must be because she's a girl and girls like getting their hair done, lol.

Kayty 06-03-2012 09:10 PM

My warmblood loves being clipped, he stands quietly and goes to sleep for a full body clip. No problems trimming his ears, jaw etc. as well. Life is certainly easier having a horse that will stand to be clipped, than having to organise sedation etc.!!!

AlexS 06-03-2012 09:49 PM

My horse pretty much prefers just standing to doing anything else.

I am not sure that I quite buy that your horse knows which area to trim though.

waresbear 06-03-2012 09:57 PM

Trims, shoeing, both my horses have a nap. Clipping is tolerated by the son, the sire used to be good it about when he was shown, he isn't clipped much anymore and probably would be snotty about, he is good about the bridle path & fetlocks. If he was showing again, I would think he might need to be twitched for his ears.

Cowgirl140ty 06-03-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1529766)
I have an Araloosa that always goes to sleep while being trimmed...

This is funny! Cause i have appaloosas. And they go to sleep to. All 3 of them. I dont have to hold or tie them. They just doze off. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

mtngrl7500 06-04-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 1530440)
My horse pretty much prefers just standing to doing anything else.

I am not sure that I quite buy that your horse knows which area to trim though.

Never said that she did. Just that she positions herself to get the clippers in a certain spot. That's why I think she likes the vibration...or maybe the feeling it gives as the hair is being trimmed away.