The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Equines (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/)
-   -   my mule is here! the mare left it and is not taking her *Update: baby passed on. (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/my-mule-here-mare-left-not-125707/)

shandasue 06-03-2012 08:21 PM

my mule is here! the mare left it and is not taking her *Update: baby passed on.

about 1pm today i happened apon the afterbirth and found the foal 20ft away barley alive. the vet got here around 5 and got some food in her. we sadaded the mare to milk her cause she wouldnt let us. she has stood by herself for a minute but isnt walking yet. Im praying she makes it. i have her in the living room right now :).
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 06-03-2012 08:44 PM

Sometimes the teats are very tender. Are you milking her out? She'll need relief from a full bag. I'd be temped to hobble her back legs with a soft rope and a knot that will release. Sometimes the delivering animal goes in to shock for a while. Had that happen. When it passed she was hollering for her young 'un. I'd keep the baby fairly close to the mare, supervised, and hopefully the baby's cries will win her over.

shandasue 06-03-2012 09:10 PM

she doesnt even have very much milk. we did milk her so the foal could have that first milk. vey told us to keep her away from the foal. im to affraid she will hurt her sence shes not completly okay yet
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 06-03-2012 09:22 PM

does the vet think the foal will make it? Have you been able to get a milk replacer? Hugs & prayers coming your way!

Saddlebag 06-03-2012 11:01 PM

Please keep us posted.

shandasue 06-04-2012 10:35 AM

we got some of the milk stuff from tracter supply and mixed it with what we got outa the mare, but sadly she didnt make it, she passed at midnight. i honestly think she was laying down to long. I kept trying to get her up but i couldn't do it by myself and my dad had to do this and that before he would help and by that time she wasn't even trying to stand. she also wouldn't eat and she was drinking from the botttle fine erlier. before she died she kept throwing her head around and hitting it on the floor hard. i was stoping her when i could but she was surprisingly strong. I just wish i could have done more
Posted via Mobile Device

Breella 06-04-2012 11:36 AM

It sounds like maybe your mare delivered while standing up and the foal had some head trauma. How did the umbilicus look? was it too short?

Saddlebag 06-04-2012 12:47 PM

Sometimes animals know when the newborn isn't right and will abandon it. Our Irish Setter delivered 13 puppies and refused to acknowlege one pup. If my mother put the pup to a teat, the bitch would move the other 12 puppies. The pup died within 24 hours. I've seen this in cattle as well.

tinyliny 06-04-2012 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear that the poor little baby did not make it. Sometimes, the ending to the story is not the good one. How very heartbreaking.

Cacowgirl 06-04-2012 02:20 PM

My condolences.