The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   My new BIG boys (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/my-new-big-boys-125730/)

Semiellia 06-03-2012 11:14 PM

My new BIG boys

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone I just have to say first that the barbed wire in the one picture was a temporary holding while we fixed the fencing in the field. Ok so here goes the first 2 pictured (red halter) are of Ghost I did not name him but it is a cool story, he is my 2yr old Percheron/Thoroughbred (Sport Horse) as I am told that's what they are called. The second 2 pictures are of Goliath my yearling Appendix. What does everyone think and what discipline should I use Ghost for? Goliath I am hoping t use as a Hunter/Jumper.
Thanks Much

SorrelHorse 06-03-2012 11:17 PM

I'd get some wormer in Goliath.

I'm not a confo expert but they're both super cute, just subbing for the educational purpose.

tinyliny 06-03-2012 11:20 PM

I really couldn't say what discipline to use them for. Ghost is fairly over at the knee. But it is not a serious thing, so I have read.

The Goliath fellow is just too cute!

Semiellia 06-03-2012 11:53 PM

I wormed him a week and a half ago and the vet was out to geld him last week she said he's fine just a big belly i guess...? I'm no expert myself snd thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1530580)
I'd get some wormer in Goliath.

I'm not a confo expert but they're both super cute, just subbing for the educational purpose.

Semiellia 06-03-2012 11:54 PM

Sorry what does over at the knee mean? I'm not familiar with that term. Goliath i is my little man:D I got him at 9 months old he was a furball

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1530585)
I really couldn't say what discipline to use them for. Ghost is fairly over at the knee. But it is not a serious thing, so I have read.

The Goliath fellow is just too cute!

Goosey 06-04-2012 01:25 AM

Over at the knee/ buck kneed refers to a horse that has knees that are forward of the 'ideal' line. Ill link a picture or two to show you the difference in buck kneed(too far forward), ideal, and calf kneed (too far back)
Google Image Result for http://www.triplecrown.com.au/getfile/cd440738-767b-4227-9b5f-796fbbd08516/Knees-toba.aspx

Google Image Result for http://www.theorythursday.com/images/front_side.gif

For the second pic:
A= Ideal
B= Over at the knee
C= Calf kneed

Semiellia 06-04-2012 01:30 AM

Thanks for the links I see what u mean
Posted via Mobile Device

blush 06-04-2012 12:15 PM

Just a little FYI, Ghost (the perch/TB) is NOT considered a Sport Horse unless you get him registered as one. He is simply known as a Percheron/Thoroughbred cross.
Looks like he will be a big boy though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Semiellia 06-04-2012 12:29 PM

Thanks Blush I did not know that
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 06-04-2012 02:33 PM

Both of these horses are going through a fairly "weedy" age. Hopefully that will improve with age, better feed and maturity.

Ghost
This horse is an example of why you don't breed two very dissimilar types of horses (Draft/Thoroughbred cross) w/o really making very sure the conformation of both is superb. While this is a nice fellow and a pretty color, he is a bit over at the knee and is developing the steep croup and long back with a hollow coupling typical of so many draft horses. He has a nicely laid back shoulder but the bone from point of shoulder to elbow lays rather shallow and he won't be a jumper. This angle is likely from his draft horse side. He is a bit tied in behind the knee as well. He seems to have inherited a nice slope to his pasterns from his Thoroughbred side and his head is more Thoroughbred than Percheron (but he sure has Percheron ears!). He is also quite rump high which, if he does not grow out of it, will impede balancing him when riding him. His necks is set properly tho it seems a bit short. Give him a couple of years and lets see him again.

Goliath
this is a better horse though he is really very weedy in this picture. Part of that is his age and part may be due to eating a lot of poor quality hay last winter (and it may be worms.. but I suspect it is more attributable to poor quality hay). When a horse gets poor quality hay as their most prevalent food source, they will eat and eat.. and not get a lot out of it. The result is a horse that looks like this one.

He neck is set a bit low and is a bit ewed, but may improve with age. He has a nice short back and a strong coupling.. nice croup.. but this can change and usually not for the better. At this age it is very hard to tell. His legs are very thoroughbred.. but be careful of those somewhat puffy looking ankles.. I would be a bit concerned about epiphysitis. He looks to have nice, roomy hocks and that is always good.

I can hardly see his feet, but the near front that I can see appears to have a very shallow angle to it. Keep his feet trimmed properly with adequate heel depth. As with Ghost feed him good quality feed and let him grow. Lets see them both again in September.. or even next spring!