The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Help with showmanship! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/help-showmanship-125760/)

PaintGirl7 06-04-2012 08:34 AM

Help with showmanship!

I need some showmanship tips kind of fast! Tips on how to get my horse to pivot, etc. Im nervous because my horse is far from bombproof so any tips in showmanship are appriciated :)

KennyRogersPaints 06-04-2012 09:54 AM

Teaching a horse showmanship is very different for different horses. For pivot, I start just getting the horse to turn in small circles away from me, to just get the horse used to moving away from me as I walk into him. Then start tapping the horse on the shoulder with a lead or a crop to move the shoulder. Nothing about teaching showmanship is quick, it takes lots of practice and consitancy.

PaintGirl7 06-13-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks for that piece of advice :)! I'll be sure to try it and report you on my progress :) thanks so much!

TheAQHAGirl 08-09-2012 11:44 PM

Believe it or not, pivots are very easy to teach.

I start out by squaring the horse up. Once its squared up push the horse's shoulder over until it crosses over the legs. Once it does that pat him and say 'good boy!' Walk a couple of steps then stop, square up, then push into the shoulder. Once your horse gets the hang of you going into his shoulder and moving, start asking for more than one step. Ask for two, then three, then four, etc.

Make sure when your pivoting, your horse pivots on his RIGHT hind foot. If your horse pivots with his LEFT hind he will loose points.

If your horse pivots with his left hind, ask him to start pivoting. Once he pivots and hes about to move is RIGHT hind foot, slightly pull him forward so that his LEFT hind foot moves, rather than his RIGHT hind foot.

Sorry for the caps but some people get confused with this subject. (:

Good luck!