my mare is showing signs she is in foal,but vet check negative
I have only owned this mare for 5 months now. when i got her she was very under nourished. She has had a belly way to large for her size and shape for a couple of months now, so I became suspisious that she may be in foal, as this is foaling season.
She is a very petite egytian arabian that has had a foal before. If she is in foal i think she is around 10 months in. I had a vet come out who looked at her fisical signs and was puzzled, so he preformed a rectal palptation. He then told me no she was not in foal as he had her uterus in his had during the rectal palpt??
One week later her belly shape changed she began nipping at her sides and nickering while doing so. Her vulva is long loose and slightly open. She is not showing any signs of bagging up, but has changed in mood been stomping her back legs holding her tail up and doing small secretions of a milky fluid, wringing her tail.
I have been stabling her in a birthing stall over night to be safe. I found her laying flat out the other morning breathing very heavy and grunting, then shortly after she stopped got up and started to eat.
Many people that see her behaviors are asking me if she is close to foaling, please tell me if you think she is
Could you possibly post pictures?
Also, if you aren't confident in the vet's intial evaluation, have another vet do an ultrasound/exam. Best to know for sure than to go off of an unsure assumption.
There is no way anyone here is going to be able to tell that from a description of the mare in question. The only way to tell a mare is pregnant just from even looking at her is if you can see feet coming out one end.
If you are still in doubt after the vet has palped her, call the vet back out to ultrasound her, or call another vet for a second opinion.
i did call my old vet to run by her what this vet told me, and she said a palpt test should never have been preformed on a mare that could be that far along as it would be most definately inconclusive.
My old vet said I could do an ultra sound but as far as she is concerned, she would just wait and see what happens. As I am taking all the neccesary precautions. I really don't want to have another vet bill as I may have one soon enough should there be a baby born.
Just thought I would see what others think. She was from a breeding operation that was siezed and all stock taken to auction on money owing so I am not able to get proper info
Should she foal I am ok with it, if she doesn't i am also ok with that
Odd. Keep us updated! I'd like to see what happens!
It's also possible she was pregnant but reabsorbed the foal, and is going through a phantom pregnancy. If she was malnourished, this could have easily happened.
Subbing, hoping pictures are posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
here are a few pics from a week and a half ago. The same week the vet checked her.
and here is another, in this one you can see she is carrying lop sided.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0