The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Horse show etiquette - bad arena behavior (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/horse-show-etiquette-bad-arena-behavior-125938/)

foxtrotmom 06-05-2012 03:17 PM

Horse show etiquette - bad arena behavior

I have family and friends that show my horses at a local show. One of the girls riding is 18 and been riding for just 1 year - prior to that she had a fear of horses. Her confidence is really great. Unfortunately there is a gentleman ( I use the term loosely) that seems to pick on this particular girl and horse. He refuses to pass on the inside - even when there is plenty of room - causing this girl to have to move over for him or be bumped. Then once passed he cuts her off. This is really annoying and a little scary for this girl, especially when his horse is a hot horse and becomes unruly pretty easy. I've let the club putting on the show know this, but haven't had a response. I'm not confrontational nor do I want to cause a scene. What do I do at the next show and this is not resolved?

oh vair oh 06-05-2012 03:25 PM

I have been known to yell at people who pull this crap. Mostly to save them from my horse, who bites and kicks. I like to be a bulldozer in the arena myself. Which means I move for nobody unless I'm passing. If he wants to come up the rail, let him bump. My horse sent a couple people to the hospital for pulling that crap. If he cuts her off, just pass around the inside. I'll usually pass and be like "Dude, make up your mind, slow or fast."

Otherwise if the horse isn't ready and she isn't as nasty as I am, just circle to the other side of the arena. Not really much you can do at an open show.

oh vair oh 06-05-2012 03:30 PM

I also should note, try to "embrace" the crazy of the Open show warm up pen. It's a good exercise for your horse to try and concentrate while he's dodging and weaving. Teaches the rider to be decisive and tough. Every time I go I think of it as an exercise in improvisation. You can't control other people, but you can make a game out of it and get some good impromptu training.

cakemom 06-05-2012 03:38 PM

Well, the way I deal with this with daughter is I stand at the rail while she's warming up, and instruct her and as he were to come towards her I'd say, hold the rail hon, it's his job to go around. Loudly...then if that doesn't work I ask the ring steward to please ask him to watch his manners...around here that's enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoveHipHop 06-05-2012 03:39 PM

I agree about staying at the other end of the arena, and then if he comes and purposefully gets in the way again id speak to him. Try speaking to others too, as they might feel the same way. The organizers are bound to listen to a group! On the subject of being tough, its good to be confident and stickup for yourself but getting wound up will stress everyone out and people might see you as a bit too 'bossy' (for want of a better word). Good luck with sorting this!

MyBoyPuck 06-05-2012 07:33 PM

I wish trainers would just teach their students to always pass left the left. It would just omit so many potential accidents in the ring. That way when somebody does try to intentionally mess with another rider, they stick out like a sore thumb and would be less likely to try that crap.

waresbear 06-05-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakemom (Post 1533314)
Well, the way I deal with this with daughter is I stand at the rail while she's warming up, and instruct her and as he were to come towards her I'd say, hold the rail hon, it's his job to go around. Loudly...then if that doesn't work I ask the ring steward to please ask him to watch his manners...around here that's enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is great advice for the warm up pen, but don't be shouting out instructions while she is in the showpen, you could get her d'q'ed.

franknbeans 06-05-2012 08:26 PM

OP-are you talking in the ring or in the warm up pen? I deal with each differently. In the show ring, yes, everyone SHOULD pass on the inside, and frankly, if you want the judge to see you, that is the place to be. As she goes around, she should have some idea where this idiot is, and can just slide slightly inside as he comes up behind her.

In the warm up pen-I am always clear when I pass where I am going. If there is room-I will call and take the outside. If not, I may take the inside, or I may circle, cut across, etc....there are usually options.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 06-05-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxtrotmom (Post 1533269)
nor do I want to cause a scene. What do I do at the next show and this is not resolved?

Why not? As Laurel Thatcher Ulrich said: Well-behaved women rarely make history

If it were me, every time he did it I would be calling him out on it every time hollering from across the arena, "Is there a reason the rules do not apply to you? Or do you just make it a habbit to pick on girls smaller than you?"

If it were in a class and its affecting me and more horse poorly, I would say screw it! I would rather tell him to back off and get either a lower score and DQ'ed from the class, rather than to sit back and allow him to get away with it.

Silence is acceptence.

cakemom 06-05-2012 09:47 PM

I didn't think about it being in a regular show, we show English and one at a time.
Posted via Mobile Device