The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   OK-what are these classes? Bleeding heart? Catalog? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ok-what-these-classes-bleeding-heart-125980/)

franknbeans 06-05-2012 08:52 PM

OK-what are these classes? Bleeding heart? Catalog?

Just looked at a show bill for next weekend. THere are very few adult classes, and these are among them. What are they? I have NO clue.

waresbear 06-05-2012 08:54 PM

Subbing cuz I have been showing at all sorts of shows for eons & never heard of those either:?:

kassierae 06-05-2012 09:13 PM

Not sure what catalog is but bleeding heart has three barrels/cones/poles set in a horizontal line at the top of the ring. You come in the gate, swing around the barrel to your right(making a left around it), weave through the middle barrel and make another left around the third and head for home. It's in the shape of a heart, hence bleeding heart.

It's a tad blurry, but here is my fab little mare and I running the pattern. It's a bit slowish for us, but it was rainy and muddy so I took it easy.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/avj2vXNueHc
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-05-2012 09:17 PM

Ahhhhh so it's speed/gymkhana type events, no wonder i never heard of it. Now I wonder what catalogue is?

Iseul 06-05-2012 09:24 PM

I believe catalogue is similar to down and back/speed and action/bobbing for apples. You run down to the barrel, get off your horse and tear the page number they give you as you pass the timer out of a catalogue/magazine, and run around the barrel and back home. Generally +3s for knocking the barrel, DQ/no time if wrong page number, and fastest time wins.
I've normally been a holder for this event at shows (holds the participants horse while they get their page).
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 06-05-2012 09:38 PM

Interesting......speed events are not for me, but fun to watch. lol My daughter (and horse) would love them! They find me a bit....ummm...boring. lol

THanks all! Knew you all would know.

Iseul 06-05-2012 10:08 PM

While I enjoy speed events..my ass ain't jumpin off my horse, ripping a page out, and then trying to haul myself back up quickely, haha.
At one of the shows I held for, one of my friend's actually got the buckle on his boot hooked to his cantle as he threw himself up (bareback type mount..but with a saddle, lol). It was quite funny watching him hang onto the side of his pony, but you can bet your money you'll never find me hanging off the side with my boot stuck to the saddle, haha. That incident was what really turned me off those sorts of events. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 06-06-2012 01:35 AM

Catalog is a little fun..There is a magazine or catalog at the end of the arena sitting on a barrel..You are given a page number before you run in the arena and to the catalog as fast as you can and find that page, rip the page out, get back on your horse, and run out..The person who does this the fastest wins..

There are also a few ways to change that up..Everyone in the class has to put one of their boots in the barrel, run in, find their boot, put it on, get back on your horse, and run out as fast as you can..

ETA - Darn, I didn't see Isuel's post before I posted..Whoops!