The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Camping? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/camping-125999/)

Cowgirl140ty 06-05-2012 10:30 PM

Camping?

How many of you have gone camping with your horses?
We go once every couple months atleast. It is such a great thing. Dont get me wrong, I love competing. But its so nice to get away with friends and ride and just relax. If you get lost you have a blast doing it. The time spent camping is so great with my horse. It just makes me love him deeper. I can let him loose to eat grass while I eat lunch, and he will stay right by me. Everyone else has to tie their horses up. It just makes me realize how much Ty is my heartbeat.
Thats said, we are going camping this weekend and can not wait!
Posted via Mobile Device

livestoride 06-05-2012 11:15 PM

I love camping with my horse as well. It is so much fun and can be very relaxing. Gem doesn't get the point though and her princessy butt starts to pace around dusk wondering where on earth her stall disappeared to and why she is still outside. She gets to be very pissy and will sulk around because she is left outside.

One side note - please be careful with letting your horse graze untied or unheld. Last time I went camping there were multiple different people who did this in the camp and I ended up spending my relaxing night chasing horses who trotted off who had never done it before. I gave up after the first two and wen tback to enjoying my night.

Walkamile 06-05-2012 11:19 PM

I love camping with my horses! This year hoping to include my husband a few times as he is showing an interest in riding. Does a good job on my mare (she takes very good care of him and makes him look good :wink: ).

CJ82Sky 06-05-2012 11:29 PM

i go a few times a year with my rescue Arab, Ridge. we go to Lake Luzerne (even cross the hudson!) and also this year are spending halloween at Gettysburg!!! can't wait!!!

loveduffy 06-05-2012 11:36 PM

I love going upstate ny with my big guy no body to bother me just ride and talk horse with nice people

Cowgirl140ty 06-05-2012 11:49 PM

Oh I always have a peppermint or bag of cookies. He cant pass on one of those. Lol. And he doesnt ever really eat the grass, cause i share my soda with him. And he know when im done eating, he has his lunch of carrots or apples or both. Lol. And im in Florida. Its nice. But I think up north would be so much prettier. But i live with in an hour from 8 great places. And within a couple hours of probably close to 15 places. Tys used to being stalled to. Buts hes stalled during the day. And thats when i ride him. So hes content. But alot of places we camp have stalls. And most of them are free camping.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirl140ty 06-05-2012 11:49 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

CJ82Sky 06-07-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveduffy (Post 1534120)
I love going upstate ny with my big guy no body to bother me just ride and talk horse with nice people

where in upstate NY do you go? we go to Lake Luzerne usually!

Jolly Badger 06-07-2012 11:21 AM

Horse-camping people are some of my favorite people. Most of the ones I've known are helpful and friendly, willing to just stop and chat, and give a "heads-up" about trail conditions, wildlife, etc.

Generally, I prefer to ride by myself or in a smaller group (no more than about six people). Bigger groups just frustrate me, especially when I don't know the people I am riding with or if someone in the group needs constant baby-sitting and coddling.

Even if you don't ride with the main group, you can still all gather back in camp at the end of the day once the horses are settled. And as my SO says, it's not really camping without a campfire.

Just sit around, laugh and joke and enjoy being outside without the glowing screens of televisions, cell phones or the iPads/Pods/Gadgets.

QOS 06-08-2012 11:19 AM

We camp with our horses too. Love it. Love the rides with my favorite peeps. My cousin and her hubby and several other couples/singles go. We sometimes have up to 30 people camping. We cook out together and just have a blast. I can't go this month but am supposed to go next month and every month after that though October when we are going over to Mississippi to ride/camp.

Be careful about turning his totally loose. I have read way too many stories about good horses running off that had NEVER done it before. Get a biothane halter/bridle and take his bit off and attach the rein to the halter ring. You then have a very long lead line but your boy is safe from himself and whatever else could come up. I have one from Taylored Tack and I LOVE it. Wasn't crazy at first about halter/bridle combo but after trail riding in it I don't even put on his leather one that matches his saddle!!