The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rope Reins (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rope-reins-126012/)

Wallee 06-06-2012 01:01 AM

Rope Reins

Anyone know where I might be able to purchase a set of rope reins? I am looking for a set that is pretty thick. A single rein. I have searched all my local feed stores and such and havent turned anything up yet.

tinyliny 06-06-2012 01:33 AM

I really like the products from this small company. I bought their "sport reins". They attache with slobber straps (not included) and you specify the lenght you want them made.

Rope Reins, Mecate reins catalog

Wallee 06-06-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1534203)
I really like the products from this small company. I bought their "sport reins". They attache with slobber straps (not included) and you specify the lenght you want them made.

Rope Reins, Mecate reins catalog

You know after looking at these I think I will just make me a set! Will have to share my outcome in a pic :P

smrobs 06-06-2012 04:02 PM

Are you looking for reins that you'll actually be roping with? If so, then you'll likely need something that is smaller diameter than most of the yacht rope reins out there...unless you have really big hands.

I have huge hands for a girl and the one time I tried to use a yacht mecate set while I was roping, it took up too much space in my hand and made it hard to handle my rope.

I much prefer a good set of leather reins. What I used to do for roping reins is I would take one of the reins from a split set, punch holes in the tail end for the water loop, and turn that into my roping rein. For some reason, it's hard to find a pre-made leather roping rein that is long enough to have slack in your reins and wide enough to have some substance, but a single 8' rein worked well for me.

Wallee 06-06-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1534927)
Are you looking for reins that you'll actually be roping with? If so, then you'll likely need something that is smaller diameter than most of the yacht rope reins out there...unless you have really big hands.

I have huge hands for a girl and the one time I tried to use a yacht mecate set while I was roping, it took up too much space in my hand and made it hard to handle my rope.

I much prefer a good set of leather reins. What I used to do for roping reins is I would take one of the reins from a split set, punch holes in the tail end for the water loop, and turn that into my roping rein. For some reason, it's hard to find a pre-made leather roping rein that is long enough to have slack in your reins and wide enough to have some substance, but a single 8' rein worked well for me.

I have made some out of a 8' split reins before and it worked really well! I actually am just looking for some to use when starting colts. I have a a leather set I use when I am roping.

QHriderKE 06-06-2012 05:19 PM

Light braided split reins are best for colts, but if you're insisting on a single rein, I've seen them for cheap at places like Peavey Mart and UFA. Big R will probably have them too.
Teskey's Saddle Shop: Flat Poly Rein

Barrel reins would work good too.
http://teskeys.com/nylon-braided-rein.html

smrobs 06-06-2012 10:17 PM

Oh, wow. I just realized how completely I misunderstood your first post :oops::lol:.

I read "rope reins" to mean "reins that I will be using while roping" instead of "reins made of rope".

And, in case you hadn't guessed it, yes, I'm blonde :wink:.

I've got a couple of pair of yacht rope reins from this place and was very happy with them.
Natural Horsemanship horse tack, tools equipment and bridles

Wallee 06-11-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1535444)
Oh, wow. I just realized how completely I misunderstood your first post :oops::lol:.

I read "rope reins" to mean "reins that I will be using while roping" instead of "reins made of rope".

And, in case you hadn't guessed it, yes, I'm blonde :wink:.

I've got a couple of pair of yacht rope reins from this place and was very happy with them.
Natural Horsemanship horse tack, tools equipment and bridles

I actually have a set I use for roping :-P, I was looking for some ones like you posted here just to try them out as I had seen a few folks riding with them and they looked kinda of nifty ha ha. I usually ride and start all my horses in split reins. I currently have a pair of 6' split reins and I kinda feel like they are short and I have seen online where some people are using 8' split reins. I think I would like the 8' better.

smrobs 06-11-2012 01:26 PM

Yeah, 8' is all I ever use. Anything else is way too short LOL, I can't even imagine using a pair of 6 footers.

For what it's worth, these are the ones that I buy, they're the better quality without the "better quality" price.
3/4" x 8' Water Loop Ends Split Reins | NRS - National Roper Supply - Western Wear, tack, team ropes, horse tack, team roping ropes, bits...

ShinaKonga 06-11-2012 02:04 PM

I made my own pair of 10 foot rope reins for under 20 dollars. VERY happy with them- my go to reins for just about anything. :) I think they were a little longer when this photo was taken, however, I had to trim them down a little after I first rode in them because I had too much rein.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...85158796_n.jpg