The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Curry combs... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/curry-combs-126051/)

AlmostDesired 06-06-2012 01:47 PM

Curry combs...

what is the best type? the round, great grip kind, or rubber currys or even plastic? :-o

HorsesAreMyPassion 06-06-2012 02:08 PM

I prefer to use rubber curries for grooming. There are many different styles of rubber curry combs. I have a wide variety of styles and use the ones that each individual horse seems to like the best. Also, I tend to find that the course finger or larger finger/nubby styles of rubber curry work best on thicker winter coats than other styles and the finer, softer styles and the mitts work best for fine, shorter summer coats and thin skinned sensitive types. Some horses will still prefer to be groomed with the course, larger nubbed styles though, even with a summer coat.

I only use a metal curry for cleaning the dandy and body brushes, I don't use it on my horses.

I've never used a plastic curry, so I don't have any advice on that style.

Whatever style works best for you and your horse is fine!

Wallaby 06-06-2012 03:21 PM

I like rubber curries for the winter and during shedding season - I find they do a great job at grabbing loose hair and/or getting through a thick winter coat. I like to use a metal "curry" to break up large clumps of dirt.
For the summer, I prefer the hard plastic ones because I feel like they work more effectively on Lacey's short summer coat.

I find that different things work best for different horses so, like HAMP said, use whatever works the best for you! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

AlmostDesired 06-06-2012 03:53 PM

thanks guys. i think i will get a rubber one then :))

themacpack 06-06-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmostDesired (Post 1534978)
thanks guys. i think i will get a rubber one then :))

"one" :lol: ......

Kayella 06-06-2012 04:19 PM

You can never stop at one! :lol: I have four different kinds of curries alone, not including my other brushes. I hoard brushes :)

gunslinger 06-06-2012 06:33 PM

My horse likes the metal ones better.

Mckellar 06-06-2012 06:41 PM

Rubber ones are always good, thin glove/gel one is what i use most on my mare the one side has the normal type teeth (if thats what you would call then ) then the other has many many thin short ones. Great to use. Plastic for winter hair but my mare doesn't like it too much lol!

Everyone at the barn knows when I'm there.. All they hear is me smacking my curry comb against the floor or wall to get all the dirt out!

Terre 06-06-2012 09:13 PM

I like the rubber one the best, The glove one for baths and the metal one to get the hair and dirt the rubber one leaves behide. I use it very carefully though because it can hurt Captain if I get to carried away.

Skyseternalangel 06-06-2012 09:21 PM

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...lyscrubber.jpg
My favourite curry ever.

And then I use metal for winter to get off the top layer.