The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Problem with horse pinning ears back when trotting in Halter. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/problem-horse-pinning-ears-back-when-126067/)

Sunflower15 06-06-2012 03:31 PM

Problem with horse pinning ears back when trotting in Halter.

I have a 7 year old QH. I am working on halter with her but everytime I trot with her shin pins her ears back. There are no horses around to scare her and this does not happen when I ride her. I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong or if she is scared of something.

Any ideas??

Saranda 06-06-2012 03:34 PM

My guess is that she isn't scared of anything - she is being dominant and is threatening you to get out of her personal space. Leading horses do not tolerate those of lower hierarchy to trot besides them, thus the pinning - it is a warning. You should work on your respect and ground manners - before she becomes even more dominant. I suspect that she may also push you with her shoulder while trotting (might seem like she's losing her balance and trying to lean against you) and nip at you - if she isn't already, then prepare that this behavior may happen.

themacpack 06-06-2012 03:54 PM

What sort of halter and lead do you use? Are you inadvertently "bumping" or pulling her as you are jogging?

cowboy bowhunter 06-06-2012 03:55 PM

I have one that does that. She pins her ears when we are trotting or loping. I have never figured why she does it she knows im dominate. So its not that. She even does it when she is in the pasture by herself. So it may just be how some horses are.

ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr 06-06-2012 04:43 PM

It could be a billion different reasons. Pain, irritation, 'disrespect', annoyance, resistance etc etc etc. For whatever reason she's doing it, you are creating the stimulus and she's responding accordingly, so IMO this can't be answered easily and correctly. A video may help us though.....