The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Saddle Pads or Saddle Blankets? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/saddle-pads-saddle-blankets-126132/)

RunJumpRide 06-06-2012 11:56 PM

Saddle Pads or Saddle Blankets?

Which one do you prefer?
I ride in a saddlepad mostly, because I like them best, but I show in a saddle blanket because you pretty much have to :)
What about you?

MangoRoX87 06-07-2012 12:20 PM

Saddle blankets are designed to go over pads. You should never EVER use just a blanket.
Posted via Mobile Device

nrhareiner 06-07-2012 06:16 PM

I use saddle pads all the time (Classic Equine). I like the ones with not cover or blanket on top. That way I can change the saddle blanket color for shows depending on what I am doing and what I have on.

RunJumpRide 06-08-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1536351)
Saddle blankets are designed to go over pads. You should never EVER use just a blanket.
Posted via Mobile Device

My trainer doesn't let me show in my saddle pad. Just my neoprene baby pad (or whatever you want to call it) under the blanket so you can't see it.

nrhareiner 06-08-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunJumpRide (Post 1538020)
My trainer doesn't let me show in my saddle pad. Just my neoprene baby pad (or whatever you want to call it) under the blanket so you can't see it.

ASre you riding english or western? That would work for english as those saddles are made to work that way. Western saddles are not. They need a thick pad under them. If you can push your finger into the pad and feel ANYTHING on the other side it is too thin.

RunJumpRide 06-08-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1538044)
ASre you riding english or western? That would work for english as those saddles are made to work that way. Western saddles are not. They need a thick pad under them. If you can push your finger into the pad and feel ANYTHING on the other side it is too thin.

Western.
This is the neoprene pad we use under it:
WESTERN SADDLE PAD NEOPRENE-Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supply
It's quite thick but not as thick as my barrel saddle pad.:-)
I consider it a blanket still.

nrhareiner 06-08-2012 02:37 PM

That would be considered a saddle pad. A cheap one but still a saddle pad.

smrobs 06-08-2012 02:40 PM

The only exception I can think of to make it acceptable to use nothing but a blanket under a western saddle is if it was being done for a very short ride at a walk and the saddle was a 100% perfect fit for the horse in question.

Even then, if the horse sweats, you run the risk of getting the wool of the saddle saturated through the blanket.

RunJumpRide 06-08-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1538312)
That would be considered a saddle pad. A cheap one but still a saddle pad.

Oh :oops:... Well we call it a baby pad because it's supposed to go under a saddle blanket. A saddle pad to me is a bit thicker. But that's just weird me... :-) Thanks

nrhareiner 06-08-2012 03:52 PM

A baby pad is a term for a type of english pad. I use under underneath my felt saddle pads. A saddle pad can be plain or can I have a decorative weave on top like what you see and professionals choice. Saddle blanket is thin and decorative and made to go over a thicker saddle pad.
Posted via Mobile Device