The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Strangest experience with Ticks yet! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/strangest-experience-ticks-yet-126144/)

shaggy 06-07-2012 12:18 AM

Strangest experience with Ticks yet!

So ok I had to share this! So I pull up at the barn today and an two friends who used to be in horse club were there visiting the horses. We asked the mother if she wouldn't mind taking a look at Blaze's eye while she was there and check Shaggy's limp. Well since I hadn't been able to go to the barn in 2 days due to working ummer camp in the mornings and VBS every night I decided to check him for ticks and when i checked his ear he jerked away. I figured great he's got a tick in there again. He did. well we were looking down in there to make sure we got the whole tick out and we saw this really big white thing down further in his ear. It was a huge and I mean huge tick!!! This thing had to be the size of a nickel!!!! I have never seen a tick that big before! We manage to get it detached from the skin but because it was so big we couldn't get our fingers in there to pull it out! So we had to take the hose and spray his ear enough to get him to shake his head around to get it to out. It took like 10 minutes of fighting with him and finally letting him be before he finally shook his head and it came out! This was without a doubt my strangest experience with ticks yet and I wish I had gotten a pic of this tick I really do lol! Hopefully the fly mask with ears that I'm gonna get him will help keep ticks out of his ears.

Skyseternalangel 06-07-2012 12:27 AM

Omg... o_O

shaggy 06-07-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1535761)
Omg... o_O

Yeah I know right!?!

SaddleStrings 06-07-2012 12:31 AM

I'm glad we don't have ticks here. That just sounds disgusting!

flytobecat 06-07-2012 12:32 AM

Wow!!!

shaggy 06-07-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleStrings (Post 1535770)
I'm glad we don't have ticks here. That just sounds disgusting!

oh it was! We were afraid he was gonna shake his head and it was gonna fly out at us!

mtngrl7500 06-07-2012 12:59 AM

A horse I had several years ago came up one evening shaking his head and just acting aggitated. He kept trying to rub the top of his head on me, which was odd for him, so I was scratching him trying to get whatever was bothering him...then I saw it. His one ear was FULL of seed ticks. I mean the entire inside of the ear. He was a bay so the ears were black and with the hair, I just couldn't see them. I felt horrible for him! Frontline spray was popular at that time so I just sprayed some on my fingers and kept rubbing his ear, they dislodged on their own for the most part and it made it pretty easy to get them out. It just made my skin crawl!

tinyliny 06-07-2012 01:01 AM

disgusting!

I hope it works for you. I went and bought Mac a fly mask with ears, for the flies, and he had it all of ONE DAY, before he lost it on some tree in the 5 acres of meadow and forest he is on. If only I had spray painted it daygl orange, instead of leaving it the pale gray it was in the package. 40$ down the drain.

Breella 06-07-2012 01:07 AM

Vaseline. Suffocates the tick without hurting the horse.

Lins 06-07-2012 01:25 AM

Every time I see my horse, I have to pull around 20 or more ticks off of him :/ my dog that lives at the barn also gets nickle sized ticks all over her. Ticks are soooo bad here this year.
Posted via Mobile Device