The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Foster Horse- Critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/foster-horse-critique-126209/)

crazyfilly 06-07-2012 02:53 PM

Foster Horse- Critique?

4 Attachment(s)
I attached the best pics I got. I took them with my phone so they aren't perfect. This is Gambler, my new foster child. I am SERIOUSLY considering adopting this sweet boy. I'd like your opinions, especially about whether you think he'll make a decent jumper. (low level)

Thanks!!!

crazyfilly 06-07-2012 02:53 PM

Oh! He's a 4 year old OTTB. lol. And he's wet in the pics.

Horses4Healing 06-07-2012 03:07 PM

I like him. He looks like he has a QH butt lol. Nice and muscled. Here is what I see for confirmation:

He has a nice long, sloping croup. I like to see this in jumpers

He appears to be either Butt High (possible since he is still a little young) or built downhill which will only make collection and working from his hind end harder, but not impossible.

His shoulder is nice and the length of his arm is also good for low level jumping.

I really like his hind end...not normally impressed so much by a TB's hind end but I really do like his butt. :-) I def think he would be good for low level jumping and I actually think he could go higher than low level (like intermediate jumpers) The only thing to watch for is that he stays sound. I've seen too many OTTB's come off racing fine and start jumping and develop problems. Its unfortunate since it happens a lot from the stress of racing. Either way I think that if you like his temperament and want to adopt him than go ahead and do it. Unless there are any unmentioned health issues in his legs than I think he's set to be a jumper. Good luck!

PS I love the name Gambler.

crazyfilly 06-07-2012 03:30 PM

Thanks :) he's a sweetie. He won his debut race and after that just couldn't place so I don't think he injured himself. He has horrible rain rot right now :(
Posted via Mobile Device

crazyfilly 06-09-2012 02:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Just a quick photo update, I lunged him for the first time today. He is LAAAZZZYYYY lol. I think he's feeling better though, cuz he was kicking up his heels. Any comments/critiques are welcome :) ( The bucking one was just for pure enjoyment lol)

LovesMyDunnBoy 06-09-2012 02:19 AM

o_o
I think his neck needs some muscle... :P lol but he's beautiful!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 06-09-2012 07:16 AM

Aww skinny neck and he's pretty thin himself.

Bless you for looking after him :)

crazyfilly 06-09-2012 05:42 PM

I just got his feet done. They were sooo bad and he was terrified of the farrier. Thank god the guy I use is really patient and calm. His feet look soo much better. The only thing that worries me is my farrier said that he had been trimmed crooked for so long in the back that his foot grew that way. He hit a spot, trying to get him balanced and he started to bleed a little, poor guy. Hopefully he'll only be sore a couple of days. I'll post new pics of his feet tomorrow if it stops raining.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoveTheSaddlebreds 06-10-2012 08:12 PM

Do you know how tall he is? He looks like a sweetie :)

crazyfilly 06-10-2012 09:19 PM

He is 15.3, but I think he'll grow into himself and end at 16.