The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   about herda (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/about-herda-12623/)

Parker Horse Ranch 08-02-2008 01:40 PM

about herda

ok I wanted to know about herda, I already have read some stuff about herda and they dont seem to help me know how to tell if the horse has herda and I wanted to know If a horse who is + for herda their skin will fall off and when being work at age 2. I also wanted to know if a horse is a Carrier N/HRD and they cut themselves or scrape will the cut heals or will it start to spread open? or will it leave a little scar? I seen pictures of what herda horse look like but I want to know if a little cut or big cut for horses who are N/HRD will heals? Do yall know what Iam talking about?

Parker Horse Ranch 08-02-2008 04:46 PM

Hello anybody???

palogal 08-02-2008 04:53 PM

HERDA is a really painful skin condition. The horse's skin breaks easily and has a hard time healing. There's a test for it, the visual signs would be a lot of broken skin all the time.

mlkarel2010 08-02-2008 04:58 PM

Yup and they blame Poco Bueno for it, but luckily it is a recessive disorder unlike HYPP so it's less common than it would be if it was domminant.

I don't have much experience with HERDA horses so I can't tell you about the cuts though.

palogal 08-02-2008 05:07 PM

I've never seen one myself either, but if you check the fugly blog, there's one from a few days ago.

Parker Horse Ranch 08-02-2008 05:28 PM

what the name of the website on fugly blog?

palogal 08-02-2008 05:48 PM

blogspot.fuglyhorseoftheday.com

girl_on_black_pony 08-02-2008 05:56 PM

yeah, it causes great pain, though i have little experience...but it is horrific

Parker Horse Ranch 08-02-2008 06:18 PM

I wanted to know if there was a horse who trace back to Poco Bueno and if a horse got kick by a horse and scrape the horse a little or cut the horse who trace back to poco bueno and that horse wound heals up, will that be a sign that he does not have herda if they heals up and not fall off or start to spread apart?

You know like if you cut yourself or fell on a side walk which is made out of cement and scrape your skin and you put neosporin or any med. on your wound and it heals up. The same with a horse if a person doctor the horse's wound by putting med. and the horse's wound heals up is that a sign that the horse does not have herda?

palogal 08-02-2008 06:19 PM

I suppose normal healing of cuts and such would suggest the horse didn't have it. It's pretty rare. The only way to definitively know is to test.