The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   The Best Way Possible (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/best-way-possible-126242/)

Horses4Healing 06-07-2012 08:10 PM

The Best Way Possible

My parents bought me my first horse when I was 9 years old and Molly and I became best friends. I owned her for 6 years before my father was given orders to move across the country (military give short notice) I was unable to afford to haul her and so the decision was made to sell Molly. I found a really nice young rider who wanted to continue advancing in the Eventing world and needed a new horse to take her further. So Molly was sold to the girl and my family was moved far away. I kept in contact with Molly's new owners for a while but over time, it gets harder and harder to do until finally I hadn't heard news of Molly in years.

One day last summer, out of the blue, I get a facebook message from the little girl (now not so little) and she informed me that Molly was doing great. She said that Molly had retired a few years ago and was spending the rest of her days out in a large pasture with a few other senior horses. I was tickeled pink that Molly was did so well with the young girl and that they loved her just as much as I did. All was good and I was happy.

About a week later I got another message from the girl and my heart sank when I read it. They had written that Molly did not come up for her breakfast so they went looking for her. They said they found her under her favorite tree in the pasture, and that she had passed away. They had the vet come out and look for possible causes and the vet came back with nothing. They said that it looked like she laid down and went to sleep forever.

As heartbroken as I was, and still am. I am glad that she lived the rest of her days as a spoiled event horse and that she died peacefully of old age. It took a few months before it all actually hit me and I cried about it. (I've never been the kind of person to cry right away when something sad happens) I was going through an old box in storage and I saw Molly's old stall sign and realized that it is the last thing that I still own of hers. That realization is what finally made me ball my eyes out.

She had taught me so much and if I could spend one more day with her to show her how much I've changed, I'd be happy for the rest of my life.

RIP Molly, you deserve to rest with the horsey angels.

Skyseternalangel 06-07-2012 09:53 PM

:( Rest in Peace, Molly...

HorseLovinLady 06-12-2012 03:52 AM

So sorry to hear of Molly's passing. Do you have any pics of her to share?

Horses4Healing 06-12-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLovinLady (Post 1543630)
So sorry to hear of Molly's passing. Do you have any pics of her to share?

The few pictures I have of her (most were taken before digital cameras) are posted in my Album for Rhinestone Gidget (Molly's Registered name" I wish I still had all the hard copies of our photos so I can scan them to my computer, but over time I have lost most of them.