The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need help/advice with leg issue? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-help-advice-leg-issue-126284/)

Natbos 06-08-2012 01:53 AM

Need help/advice with leg issue?

this mare we have on trial, she had nose bleed first 2 day we had her, vet put a scope down her said it was nothing major, but he also said she had a gimp in her front leg tested her and she was sensitive in the sole but not the heel so he gave me sole paint to harden her feet and said if we decide to get her to get her x-rayed for navicular first....THEN today we took her to my daughters 4-h meeting and they were practicing scurry. she would not jump and the leader had to get her to follow her over the jumps........this is the weird part that i'm baffled on and hope someone can help me with....2nd time she got her up to the jump then she started refusing and just backing and backing a little rear then more backing..... then out of the blue she stretched her hind leg back straight out behind her and was hobbling around on 3 legs then she brought it back up under her as if hurting. so my daughter jump off her and i felt her she was touchy, so my daughter started walking her out and 5-10 minutes later she was fine and practicing pleasure.....WHAT HAPPENED? i have never seen that before and can't fine anything on the net about it.....most horses bring there legs up under them when hurt not out behind them and it was almost like she was stuck for a moment....

Natbos 06-08-2012 01:56 AM

o and just to be clear this was a hind leg not the front one the vet said she was a little off on. so totally different leg......

o and twice i have lifted her front feet to pick them and she has felt as though she was about to go limp and fall then would catch herself, kinda weird also, and i'v never seen that happen before either.... please give me your opinions my daughter really like this mare but i'm on the fence about her......

Skyseternalangel 06-08-2012 05:16 AM

No idea but that doesn't sound..normal? I would be concerned.

Jewelsb 06-08-2012 07:15 AM

My horse has done the go limp and fall thing when I've picked his front feet. He has actually fallen a few times so I'd like answers on that as well. I havnt been able to find anything on it either. I've never seen a horse do the other thing you described though. That's quite strange!
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 06-08-2012 07:16 AM

Haven't a clue as to what this could be but would say that there seem to be so many issues that I, personally would send her back and continue horse hunting.