The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   fly sheets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/fly-sheets-126319/)

HarleyWood 06-08-2012 01:46 PM

fly sheets?

i was thinking about getting a sheet for my paint gelding for bugs and the sun(pink skinned) and i found a few but was wondering what other people had and liked id like one with a neck and a belly strap. i dont want to spend more then 100. this is the one i found..

Tough-1 Sheet Combo Fly Sheet with Belly Wrap

what do you think?

eclipseranch 06-08-2012 02:21 PM

don't expect a wht fly sheet to stay wht very long..lol personally I don't like the sheets with belly wraps ..I find they slide more even with the leg straps but it depends how much your horse will wear it, turn out, etc.

HarleyWood 06-08-2012 02:27 PM

he would wear it when flys and other bugs are bad and right now they are out 24/7soon when the barn is done and bugs are bad they will be in more but they still would get out to streach and eat some grass.

nvr2many 06-08-2012 02:28 PM

GAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I got one last summer for my guy, and I have to say, hated it, and it went back! Slipped like crazy and that belly wrap/band, not a good idea for a gelding!!!! Maybe I just got a bad style but I never got another, just used lots of fly spray!

crimsonsky 06-08-2012 02:31 PM

i've had the best luck with these two:

Saratoga Summer Turnout/Fly Sheet | Dover Saddlery

Baker Horse/Fly Turnout Sheet

my mare had the saratoga fly sheet for 3 summers before it got it's first tear. granted she wasn't out with other horses at that time so take that into consideration.

my gelding has the baker one and it holds up well to his antics although after two summers i did have to have the surcingle replaced as he tore it off.

HarleyWood 06-08-2012 02:40 PM

he needs a neck sheet becasue the bugs love his neck.

crimsonsky 06-08-2012 03:00 PM

then get a kensington, the construction is basically the same as the baker but i'm not sure baker carries a neck cover (they may i just haven't looked).

Kensington Protective Neck Rug - Fly Sheets from SmartPak Equine

Cruiser 06-08-2012 03:12 PM

I like my Weatherbeeta Duramesh with neck and fly mask, got it from Horse.com for $45 on sale, takes lots of abuse from my mare, no rubs, no fly bites, and only problem is my mare is built lean and the belly wrap doesn't really reach her belly. It weighs a ton but it tents over her and keep her cool, stops fading (70% UV protection), and her not covered in bumps.

farmpony84 06-08-2012 05:02 PM

Looks like a nice one. This is the one I have. I really like it.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/weatherbeeta-airflow-detachaneck-fly-sheet-10260p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

gypsygirl 06-08-2012 08:31 PM

i have a kensington protective sheet and love it so much ! its 3yo and it still looks brand new. it also keeps my black horse cooler. you can get them i little cheaper on ebay.