The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Stallion owners... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/stallion-owners-126359/)

RunSlideStop 06-08-2012 07:45 PM

Stallion owners...

For you stallion owners, or those who would like to hypothetically participate: have you ever refused to breed your stud to a certain mare, whether for conformation, health, moral or other reasons? This includes sending frozen specimens to mare owners. How do you go about keeping your breeding ethical, or do you at all?

Druydess 06-08-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunSlideStop (Post 1538713)
For you stallion owners, or those who would like to hypothetically participate: have you ever refused to breed your stud to a certain mare, whether for conformation, health, moral or other reasons? This includes sending frozen specimens to mare owners. How do you go about keeping your breeding ethical, or do you at all?

Yes, I would, and have, refused certain mares simply because the match would not best promote my stallion or- conversely- my stallion wouldn't complement the mare. I feel the ethical thing to do is to be selective in breeding choices. I've had many opportunities to breed and have declined.

RunSlideStop 06-08-2012 07:59 PM

How do you go about deciding which mares to breed and which not to breed? What kind of info do you require from mare owners to make the decision?

Druydess 06-08-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunSlideStop (Post 1538719)
How do you go about deciding which mares to breed and which not to breed? What kind of info do you require from mare owners to make the decision?

Pics and pedigree foremost. In person is preferred if possible, Temperament is important to me. Prior foals produced, if any, and who the mare was bred to to see what that match produced, tail female lines, and plans/goal of the mare owner. Also, clear of common genetic issues.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-08-2012 09:07 PM

Anytime I stand a stallion it is 'to approved mares only'. That means I can approve or disprove any mare I don't care for or if I don't think their owner is the kind of person I want to deal with, I just say that his book is no longer open that year, or I close his book to the public if necessary.

CLaPorte432 06-08-2012 10:33 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I don't own a stallion, but if I did, I would certainly decline people if the circumstances called for it.

If I had a LWO positive stallion, I would decline LWO positive mares. Any responsible breeder would. Same with any other genetic diseases. Poor conformation. Poor health, including feet not up to date, poor weight, wormy belly etc. Not up to date on shots/coggins that are required for breeding mares. And if I was rubbed the wrong way by the owner, I would decline them.

As a stallion owner, you should only be interested in producing the best quality foals. You shouldn't be looking at dollar signs. Sure, 10 people might want to breed to your stallion at $1000 per mare. Only 4 mares are what you would consider breeding quality. Are you going to turn down $6000?

You must be a responsible stallion owner. (Not saying that you aren't, but I'm just making a general comment) :-)

RunSlideStop 06-08-2012 11:19 PM

For the record, I am horseless at the moment. ;) Just enjoy posing questions for conversation's sake, especially questions others might find useful.

On that note, I would say I personally would not breed a LWO positive stallion, just as I would not breed an HYPP N/H stud or mare, regardless of the mate's status.

Getting back to the point, I agree with what has been said in regards to being responsible.

Druydess 06-08-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1538793)
Anytime I stand a stallion it is 'to approved mares only'. That means I can approve or disprove any mare I don't care for or if I don't think their owner is the kind of person I want to deal with, I just say that his book is no longer open that year, or I close his book to the public if necessary.

This is a good point. They can have the most stunning mare in the world, but if they're the unsavory or irresponsible sort- I don't want my stallion's foal there.

CLaPorte432 06-08-2012 11:40 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunSlideStop (Post 1538947)
For the record, I am horseless at the moment. ;) Just enjoy posing questions for conversation's sake, especially questions others might find useful.

On that note, I would say I personally would not breed a LWO positive stallion, just as I would not breed an HYPP N/H stud or mare, regardless of the mate's status.

Getting back to the point, I agree with what has been said in regards to being responsible.

There is nothing wrong with breeding LWO carriers, as long as the breeder is responsible and doesn't cross to another LWO carrier. If no-one ever bred another LWO carrier, the frame overo gene would be wiped out.

I can see not breeding N/H horses. I personally would not do that.

Druydess 06-08-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1538972)
There is nothing wrong with breeding LWO carriers, as long as the breeder is responsible and doesn't cross to another LWO carrier. If no-one ever bred another LWO carrier, the frame overo gene would be wiped out.

I can see not breeding N/H horses. I personally would not do that.

This is true. Some desirable traits exist that should be retained if possible. So many genetic variations/anomalies exist that if all were avoided, what's left could cause inbreeding to be be an issue, thereby creating other genetic defects..