The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   My pregnant Horse is mean (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-pregnant-horse-mean-126422/)

Melissa1984 06-09-2012 03:07 PM

My pregnant Horse is mean

Okay I have a question this is my very first horse that I have had and she is pregnant we bought her not knowing she was pregnant first of all. Once I got her I decided that I wanted to get a vet to check her out and she was indeed pregnant. Well now that she is approching almost 100 days pregnant she is getting mean now. She decided to kick my dad today and she doesn't normally act like this. Have you every had a horse get mean? I don't want any rude comments for one I am just asking a question have you had a horse that was pregnant get mean.

Janna 06-09-2012 03:11 PM

Unless she's in pain, you just need to work on her manners like any other horse.
Needs her ass kicked.

Melissa1984 06-09-2012 03:14 PM

She isn't normally like this i guess she just wants to be grumpy. She was out in the pasture and he was gonna bring her over on her lead for my son to walk her around for a little and she got pissed

Janna 06-09-2012 03:16 PM

Well hopefully you/whoever corrected her and reminded her who's the boss, doesn't matter how pregnant she is or grumpy. that's not acceptable

Melissa1984 06-09-2012 03:20 PM

my dad corrected her in a very nice way by fussing at her and telling her that was not acceptable and clapping really loud like a trainer told us to do but Im willing to accept other ways of disipline

Janna 06-09-2012 03:24 PM

I would have sent her hip away and got her working fast and hard for a few seconds.
I would have then been messing with her legs and feet and just making her move just because I can tell her to, also with that kick there would have been a rope smacking her ass.as I sent her hip away.

franknbeans 06-09-2012 03:51 PM

Kicking is one of those behaviors you should NEVER discipline "nicely" for, nor should you EVER make excuses for it like "she is preggo so she is grumpy".

This mare needs to think the world as she knows it will end if she EVER tries that again. That has to be accomplished quickly and without leaving any question in her mind. How you do it depends upon what you have available to you, where you are in relationship to the horse, etc. Ideally, yes, grab one end of the lead about 3'off her head, and take the other end in your other hand with at least 3' hanging and go right for the side of her butt so she is forced to have her head toward you, hind away and go around you quickly. I just swing it in a rapid circle so that it gets her butt, and make lots of loud obnoxious sounds, like "AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH" So that eventually she will associate that sound with the lead smacking her, and you can do that when she starts and nip it in the bud.

Like I said tho, it depends upon where you are, and what you have avaiulable. I have had horses cowkick at me, to which I typically kick them back, tight in the belly, again, yelling. I do not make a habit of hitting or kicking my horses, however, I am a firm believer in force meeting like force. Just like would happen in the herd. I also know that nothing I could inflict could even compare to the wrath of an alpha mare who is pissed off. She would definitely not put up with that crap either.

Melissa1984 06-09-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1539663)
Kicking is one of those behaviors you should NEVER discipline "nicely" for, nor should you EVER make excuses for it like "she is preggo so she is grumpy".

This mare needs to think the world as she knows it will end if she EVER tries that again. That has to be accomplished quickly and without leaving any question in her mind. How you do it depends upon what you have available to you, where you are in relationship to the horse, etc. Ideally, yes, grab one end of the lead about 3'off her head, and take the other end in your other hand with at least 3' hanging and go right for the side of her butt so she is forced to have her head toward you, hind away and go around you quickly. I just swing it in a rapid circle so that it gets her butt, and make lots of loud obnoxious sounds, like "AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH" So that eventually she will associate that sound with the lead smacking her, and you can do that when she starts and nip it in the bud.

Like I said tho, it depends upon where you are, and what you have avaiulable. I have had horses cowkick at me, to which I typically kick them back, tight in the belly, again, yelling. I do not make a habit of hitting or kicking my horses, however, I am a firm believer in force meeting like force. Just like would happen in the herd. I also know that nothing I could inflict could even compare to the wrath of an alpha mare who is pissed off. She would definitely not put up with that crap either.

I guess Im gonna have to be the bigger bully then just because i don't want anyone hurt nor do I want to get hurt. I am gonna try this next time cause she has bit me on the shoulder a week ago and I screamed and made loud noises at her but Im just gonna have to do whatever it takes to make her think I can't do this

Janna 06-09-2012 04:06 PM

If she tries to bite again, since she's been warned nicely. if she were mine I'd punch her in the nose as hard as I could, as she goes to bite, and once again I'd send her away and shed be working hard. But all this has to be done very quick as they forget fast it has to happen within a couple seconds. Or a stud chain over the nose. You don't use it unless the goes to bite. She bites = nose getting popped and backup fast.

Melissa1984 06-09-2012 04:09 PM

I appreciate all the advice I am getting I guess im a softy lol Im gonna have to get tough with her