The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   How long will it take for him to lose his stallion-behavior? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/how-long-will-take-him-lose-126460/)

Britt 06-09-2012 09:31 PM

How long will it take for him to lose his stallion-behavior?

I am just curious. I was going to sell mstallion, but now, instead, I have just about decided to geld him and keep him.

My question, though, is this:

After he's gelded, how long will it take for him to get over his interest in mares? How long will it be before I can safely put him back in the big pasture with the rest of the herd (four mares and one gelding)? He has bred one of our mares, if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance!

Super Nova 06-09-2012 10:05 PM

That will depend on a few things.....the horse itself and how old was he when he was gelded.....did he ever service any mares? Was he managed and trained properly? In other words was he allowed to behave inappropriately while he was a stallion.

Super Nova

myhorsesonador 06-09-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britt (Post 1539963)
I am just curious. I was going to sell mstallion, but now, instead, I have just about decided to geld him and keep him.

My question, though, is this:

After he's gelded, how long will it take for him to get over his interest in mares? How long will it be before I can safely put him back in the big pasture with the rest of the herd (four mares and one gelding)? He has bred one of our mares, if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance!

Since he has already "gotten his freak on" with one of the mares, he will most likely never be able to go out with mares again.

Britt 06-09-2012 10:16 PM

He is four years old. The reason he wasn't gelded as a youngster is because he didn't even drop until December 2011, and after he did, I didn't have the money, but now that I have a job I'm able to save up to geld him.

Whenever I work with him, he's very nice and polite. I don't get to work with him a lot right now, but I don't let him get away with things. Last time I led him near a mare (a few months ago) he did act up a little but I disciplined him and he settled down. Later I was told that the mare was in season, which I did not know beforehand.

I can ride him along the road between our fences with our mares hanging over the fenceline and he listens to me extremely well and doesn't even bother with the mares besides a glance when I first get him out.

KennyRogersPaints 06-09-2012 10:17 PM

Just because a horse has a lack of testosterone after being gelded doesn't always mean they won't still act like a stallion in some situations, its as much habbit for them to act the way they do as a drive eventually, to keep it safe, I would keep him by himself or just with geldings even after he is gelded, I've seen many geldings mount and penetrate mares.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 06-09-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1540032)
Since he has already "gotten his freak on" with one of the mares, he will most likely never be able to go out with mares again.

That is in no way true. It really does depend on the horse himself. Plenty of late geldings go out perfectly fine with mares, including geldings that were breeding studs.

Britt 06-09-2012 10:40 PM

Part of the reaquestion concerned our pasture arrangements, as te grass in his current pasture isn't the greatest. After he's gelded and calmed down, it is very likely that he will have to be moved back with the herd due to the lack of nutrients in th gras in his pasture.

paintedpastures 06-10-2012 12:01 AM

I had a stallion I gelded at 5 yrs old.He was used for breeding. I integrated him into the herd & he did fine:D. I think herd dynamics plays a part on how well they will integrate.He did well, but I know I had one mare ,who we sold but if she had still been in herd think they would have clashed:wink:
as for returning to the herd...gelding stops sperm production,but your horse will naturally has stored sperm present. This sperm can still be viable for a month,so your new gelding can still impregnate a mare for up to 4 weeks after the procedure.:shock:

horseandme 06-10-2012 12:19 AM

Can take a week can take months.I would put him with the boss of the other horses to straighten him out so he knows he is not in charge.

Britt 06-10-2012 12:25 AM

Ok, thanks! I thought that he coud still impregnante for a few weeks, but was unsure on how long. so i'll just have to keep him seperated for that time period.

I'm not too worried about him having to be 'straightened out' by the herd boss. Before he dropped and we knew he was a stud (when I got him, we all thought he was a gelding until he dropped!) he was in with the herd and was on the very bottom rung of the ladder. He's been pastured with my gelding on and off and has always been at the bottom of the herd order. He's a timid horse and is bullied very easily. Even if I give him a 'bad look' he backs off.