The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Roaring during today's workout? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/roaring-during-todays-workout-126491/)

TristaJean 06-10-2012 12:10 AM

Roaring during today's workout?

Today while I was working my 17 year old gelding at the trot, I heard him breathing strangely. It was just a walk-trot ride so I didnt test to see if he was doing it at the canter. I guess the best way to describe it is a "roar". I've heard of roaring before, but I've never heard him breathe like this before, he normally breathes fine at all gaits.I'm a little worried, but I hope I'm just over reacting. He also had some white-ish boogers in his nose. (Stuffy nose affecting his breathing?)
If anyone can help me figure out what caused this weird breathing, I'd really appreciate that piece of mind!
Posted via Mobile Device

Oxer 06-10-2012 02:25 AM

possibly sinus yuck due to pollen, dust, dryness, heat, etc? My horse recently had a weepy eye. I was in a panic over it, and when the vet came out today he literally stuffed a tube into a hole in his nose and squirted fluid up through his eye. Some nasty gunk came through! Vet stated it was just normal conjunctivitis due to the dust and allergens.

But, as with all things with horses, if you're reeeeeally concerned, give your vet a ring!

Cherie 06-10-2012 07:40 AM

Does he have a cough?

Has he recently been sick -- like with strangles or Rhino or Flu?

When he exhales, can you see a line form near his flank as he attempts to push the air back out? This is known as a 'heave line' and is indicative of a horse with 'heaves' or a similar problem.

I would start out by wetting down his hay.

I would give him a day or two with his hay being wet down and then, I would ride him pretty hard with quite a bit of time at the lope/canter.

If he makes a loud noise as he canters, I would call a Vet, tell him about your problem and ask if he would examine him and if he can 'scope' his breathing passages if he feels it is necessary. One call or apt is much more cost effective than 2 or 3.

TristaJean 06-10-2012 01:04 PM

No cough, and he hasn't been sick at all.
He doesn't heave either.

It might just be allergies but I'll try wetting down his hay.
Posted via Mobile Device

littleamy76 06-10-2012 01:22 PM

I would call a vet just to be on the safe side. You don't want something like this to turn into something more serious.

SlideStop 06-10-2012 04:51 PM

What does it sound like? Is it like an "errr, errr, errr" noise then followed by a sneeze?
Posted via Mobile Device

TristaJean 06-10-2012 04:55 PM

It's such a hard noise to describe.
It was almost like a very quiet light snore.
No sneezing or coughing, and it wasn't with every step, he did it maybe 3 or 4 times a lap.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-10-2012 05:05 PM

It almost sounds like an snore then they blow it out. It's a normal thing for them to do but if its happening excessively (which could vary with environment/horse/etc) it would be worth seeing if he has allergies. Also, if its constantly happening in one particular spot it could have something to do with the dust in your arena. Does he do it on trail, in the ring, in the paddock?
Posted via Mobile Device

KissTheRing 06-10-2012 05:06 PM

Having a roarer It comes from basically everything Cherie said-
I'd say track it for a couple of weeks and at different work levels- Check out the allergin levels of the day as well- you might learn if he's allerigic to something in the air- And as always ask your vet-
My roarer came from an intense flu of which he almost died from- So if your horse is healthy and has been healthy- I doubt he is "roaring"

Good Luck and Best of Wishes!

TristaJean 06-10-2012 05:12 PM

I only have grass fields to ride in at home, and he's never done it before. He doesn't do it at competitions in arenas either.

I'm going to ride him later and see if he does it again, as well as seeing if he does it at the canter and I'll post the results.
Posted via Mobile Device