The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Skinny TB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/skinny-tb-126503/)

HorseCrazyKat 06-10-2012 02:40 AM

Skinny TB

Hey everyone;

Looking for advice on putting weight on my skinny TB. When I got him he was very skinny, we got weight on him and the last year+ he's looked great. About a month ago he started loosing again, and still is...

He is totally healthy, teeth, worming etc is all up to date. He is happy, healthy coat, etc.

Recently we've increased his work load quite a bit, but I've also increased his feed.

Currently he's getting per day: 5 flakes of good quality orchard/timothy mix, 4+ scoops BP, a scoop timothy pellets, a scoop + of rice bran, and forco.

He's not horrible skinny yet, a little ribby and a slightly concaved rump, but he's still loosing...

AHHHH!!!

Any advice?

THANKS!

SaddleStrings 06-10-2012 05:30 AM

How much does your hay weigh? And how much do your scoops weigh?

HorseCrazyKat 06-10-2012 10:45 AM

I board so I am no entirely sure. Hay is average flakes, and average grain scooper sizes scoops. Sorry this isn't extrey helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 06-10-2012 10:52 AM

I'd add to his hay and possibly grain. My Tb gets 8 to 9 flakes of quality hay as well as a good amount of grain morning and night. Since I added the extra grain he has had no issue holding weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 06-10-2012 10:52 AM

But 5 flakes just doesn't seem near enough for a Tb
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 06-10-2012 11:04 AM

889 Attachment(s)
Does he eat all of his food?

TB's are prone to gastric ulcers. They tend to get them when traveling alot, medium-heavy workloads, and some get them for no apparent reason.

Quick weight-loss, lethargy, unfinished food, are "cinchy" or have an attitude when undersaddle/saddling up and duller coat are symptoms. Horses may have 1, 2 All or None of those symptoms. Just depends on the horse.

HorseCrazyKat 06-10-2012 11:12 AM

He's on ranitidine... Ulcer meds... Is WAY better behavior wise. Still loosing weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 06-10-2012 11:20 AM

889 Attachment(s)
So he has a previous history of ulcers? Or is that a preventative med so he doesn't get them?

If he has a history of them, he may have had a flare up.

What exactly is his workout schedule?

The grass hay he is getting probably isn't the best for him. I'd be putting him on some alfalfa.

What brand of grain has he been getting? Nutrena has a GREAT Senior formula that has lots of really wonderful ingredients. I have a harder keeper, 13 years old, and he's made a great turn around on this stuff...

NutrenaŽ Life DesignŽ Senior Horse Feed, 50 lb. - 2802301 | Tractor Supply Company

HorseCrazyKat 06-10-2012 01:09 PM

We never tested him for ulcers, but a bunch of people at the barn put their horses on it with amazing results. I put him on it just to see and I now have a different horse, he's soooo much better. He's off the track so I assume he's had them for most of his life, poor guy...

He gets four plus days o jumping/ dressage work on average per week. Plus a fun day (trail, bareback etc) and a day or two off. But it's summer in a few weeks for me and his show/work schedual is goin to go up.

Don't know what brand of grain, whatever the barn feeds...

Yeah I was wondering about alphalfa. Worried it'll make him hot--- but maybe that's something I need tO deal with for a few weeks getting his weight up.

Hmmm I'll look into the senior feed, he's ten or eleven I can never remember... :)

Thanks for all the help. I'll post a picture, he's not awful I'm more considenered about how fast he lost weight and how he's not gaining it back but instead is continuing to loose. Lie I said he's completely healthy and happy...
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 06-10-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1540686)
So he has a previous history of ulcers? Or is that a preventative med so he doesn't get them?

If he has a history of them, he may have had a flare up.

What exactly is his workout schedule?

The grass hay he is getting probably isn't the best for him. I'd be putting him on some alfalfa.

What brand of grain has he been getting? Nutrena has a GREAT Senior formula that has lots of really wonderful ingredients. I have a harder keeper, 13 years old, and he's made a great turn around on this stuff...

NutrenaŽ Life DesignŽ Senior Horse Feed, 50 lb. - 2802301 | Tractor Supply Company

Posted via Mobile Device