The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   How do you prepare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/how-do-you-prepare-126511/)

Cinder 06-10-2012 08:07 AM

How do you prepare?

Hey, everyone!

So I might be going to my second real show on the 30th. It will be the very first one ever where I will be traveling to another facility (along with my barn). This made me start my flurry of preparations (even though it's not set in stone if I can go yet. Yeah I have issues but it makes me happy)!

I was wondering how you guys prepare? Any traditions? Is there anything you could NEVER go without (besides your horse and all the required tack, etc, of course). Start with the very first thing you do, which might be asking when there's a show for all I know! (That's what I've done lol).

Thanks!

gypsygirl 06-10-2012 08:24 AM

i ALWAYS bring an extra girth and an extra bridle [a complete bridle with bit, not just extra parts] im actually heading to a two day clinic tonite [i ride mon/tues] and then im going to a show fri/sat/sun. so most of my stuff will probably stay packed. i had to pack everything yesterday because i have to work 8-5 and then drive 3hrs down to the clinic today. i almost forgot to pack gypsys grain ! i would have felt awful !!

Cinder 06-10-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

im actually heading to a two day clinic tonite [i ride mon/tues] and then im going to a show fri/sat/sun.
Good luck! I hope you do well and have fun!

DancingArabian 06-10-2012 10:18 AM

Make yourself a checklist then when you think everything is in the trailer, go down the list. Be sure however that you visually SEE things in the trailer and do not go from memory.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mckellar 06-13-2012 02:10 PM

Make a check list in advance and keep old ones from past shows so you know what to add if needed. Make the list ahead of time and pack things or get ready as you go . Show clothes exc. and then clean take day before and I have o as the bullet so I X off the o once I have it ready then once packed I put a highlight threw it. And then double check everything again. I bring extra saddle pads, reins, cloths to change into after / what I wear to the show. Water for the horse to bath and drink, sponge to wipe tack down inbetween classes and RAGS RAGS AND MORE I hate dirty boots.

xJumperx 06-13-2012 09:29 PM

Never leave without a horse. That's a big no-no. You can get disqualified for that.

Okay, now serious matters ;) They have an AWESOME checklist here that I use all the time - covers just about everything!
Download a Horse Show Checklist and Stall Card - HorseChannel.com

It's the checklist on that page ;)

I always bring a rope halter. That way if someone picks up your reg. halter, you've got an extra little cheap one nobody will take. And you can do just about anything with a rope halter that you can with a nylon.

A tack box to put stuff in at night (one that locks, preferably.) Unless you have a tack stall. Then don't worry about it.

Best of luck!!!!!!!

COWCHICK77 06-13-2012 10:02 PM

That is one thing I like about owning a trailer with a large tack/dressing room, I keep almost everything in it. So all I have to do is pack feed, throw the fancy bridles that get kept in the house and load horses, very stress free!

Our trailer is packed with a ton of blankets, saddle pads, saddles, bridles, wraps, boots, all grooming supplies, shavings, buckets(and a water tank), haybags, halters, hoses, extention cords, stall cleaning forks, shovels, extra tack parts, leather repair kit, vet kit( a lot of this stuff I keep in a drawer organizer along with double sided tape, crazy glue, saftey pins, chigago screws, tools..whatever)....you name it...food, ice chest, bed roll...I could get locked in my trailer for a month and survive! LOL

Having a stocked trailer makes it easier, especially those mornings when you have to leave at 3 or 4, then wonder on the trip if you remembered everything!

spurstop 06-13-2012 10:06 PM

Yeah, I just keep the trailer loaded. I have a second set of grooming equipment and all the extras (buckets, tack stall things) that stay in the trailer.

Typically, all I have to load is show tack, tail, and horse.

If you aren't planning on it already, pack your own lunch and lots of bottled water. Show food is stupidly expensive.

equiniphile 06-13-2012 10:16 PM

Even though you'll be clipping your horse at your barn, buy a pack of horse shavers for last-minute touch ups. Make sure to bring water for your horse if you're not sure there will be water on the grounds.

Cinder 06-14-2012 06:29 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Keep them coming :).