The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   hoof mapping, is it correct ? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-mapping-correct-126535/)

desert country 06-10-2012 11:51 AM

hoof mapping, is it correct ?

Is this protocol is correct ?

cheers,
Doron

Cotton 06-10-2012 07:31 PM

I believe I just wasted 20 minutes of my life watching that guy hack that foot and then try to justify it! WOW!

Horseman56 06-11-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotton (Post 1541217)
I believe I just wasted 20 minutes of my life watching that guy hack that foot and then try to justify it! WOW!

Cotton, are you not familiar with the presenter in the vids?

Cheers,
Mark

Skyseternalangel 06-11-2012 12:15 AM

I have no idea if what I watched was good or not, but I really don't like to watch them clean off the frog till it's white.. it looks like it would be so easy to mess something up and makes me nervous.

Can someone explain what is going on here, and if this is something most farriers do and if it's helpful or not?

Thanks..

Cotton 06-11-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseman56 (Post 1541623)
Cotton, are you not familiar with the presenter in the vids?

Cheers,
Mark

No sir . EPLO kinda explains it though.

Skyseternalangel 06-11-2012 12:26 AM

I meant foot, not frog.. lol

Cotton 06-11-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotton (Post 1541640)
No sir . EPLO kinda explains it though.

Gene Ovnicek ?

Horseman56 06-11-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1541634)
I have no idea if what I watched was good or not, but I really don't like to watch them clean off the frog till it's white.. it looks like it would be so easy to mess something up and makes me nervous.

Can someone explain what is going on here, and if this is something most farriers do and if it's helpful or not?

Thanks..

The fellow in the vid is Gene Ovnicek. Gene owns EDDS and is well known in the farriery industry.

Most of you would know him for his 'Natural Balance' or NB horseshoes.

Gene travels the lecture circuit and is usually seen at the annual AFA convention and the International Hoofcare Summit.

The mapping/trimming vids represent the highlights of the NB protocol. While Gene has a tendency to present the concepts as his own, the truth is that most of it originated with a fellow named Dave Duckett. Gene has been teaching his method for a lot of years now and has built a very successful business around his methodologies.

Is it "correct" trimming and/or shoeing? Depends on who you ask. While there are certainly aspects of the trim mapping that are correct, it's still a 'model' based protocol and, as some would correctly argue, a flawed model. The trouble with models is that they don't fit every horse everytime. Gene's base model is the feral foot. His trim and the shoes that he sells are based on that feral model.

While it's a fine model if you happen to own a desert bred mustang, there are a lot of situations where it just doesn't work as well as one might want.

I like to think of it as just "another tool in the box". I've used the protocol and Gene's products when I think they represent the best solution for a given horse. Sometimes it works well; sometimes it doesn't.

Here's an NB PLR (performance leverage reducing) example that I thought didn't work as well for the horse as hoped.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...1/IMG_0020.jpg

We live and learn.

Cheers,
Mark

Skyseternalangel 06-11-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseman56 (Post 1541670)
The mapping/trimming vids represent the highlights of the NB protocol. While Gene has a tendency to present the concepts as his own, the truth is that most of it originated with a fellow named Dave Duckett. Gene has been teaching his method for a lot of years now and has built a very successful business around his methodologies.

Is it "correct" trimming and/or shoeing? Depends on who you ask. While there are certainly aspects of the trim mapping that are correct, it's still a 'model' based protocol and, as some would correctly argue, a flawed model. The trouble with models is that they don't fit every horse everytime. Gene's base model is the feral foot. His trim and the shoes that he sells are based on that feral model.

While it's a fine model if you happen to own a desert bred mustang, there are a lot of situations where it just doesn't work as well as one might want.

I like to think of it as just "another tool in the box". I've used the protocol and Gene's products when I think they represent the best solution for a given horse. Sometimes it works well; sometimes it doesn't.

Okay, thanks. And when he was "exfoliating" is that typical of farriers? Does any damage come from digging out the sole to find the apex?

Just trying to get a better understanding.

Shropshirerosie 06-11-2012 02:03 AM

I can't add anything to this debate, but I would like just to step in and say that I find Horseman56's contribution so interesting and informative - as always! Thank you Mr H