The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horse Boot Suggestions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horse-boot-suggestions-126557/)

Horsecccrazy 06-10-2012 05:20 PM

Horse Boot Suggestions

So i ride both english and western. I always ride my appendix with all around horse boots on. I also ride my other horse with them when i run poles or any time we will be working hard.

One of my friends who is a very good barrel racer uses polo wraps in her horses. Which would be better for running barrels and poles and stuff?

DrumRunner 06-10-2012 05:30 PM

It's really personal preference..There are many different boots on the market now and there are a ton of different opinions about which is best..I personally will only use Professional Choice VenTech Elites..

VenTECH Elite Sports Medicine Boot

"Now with VenTECH technology, the Elite Sports Medicine Boot is lightweight and multi-layered with a ventilated, limestone-based neoprene exterior and UltraShock lining. Ventilated neoprene conforms to your horse, allows heat and moisture to escape, and keeps your horse cool, comfortable and performing at its best. The boot provides 360 degrees of protection, safeguarding the cannon bone, tendons and soft tissue, and is proven to absorb over 26% of energy from hoof impact. The uniquely designed suspensory strap stretches with each stride, allowing full ankle movement and helping to eliminate hyperextension of the fetlock. The distinctive angle of this strap guarantees proper application, ensuring the boot provides maximum protection."

IMO, they are the best..They wrap easy and fit great, the velcro is awesome and durable.. The boots are breathable so they don't hold heat on the horse's leg, and they don't let a lot of sand in that can gather under the boot and cause more damage than good. I have a few sets of them and I can still use the set of Elites I bought 5 years ago and have used them forever..You can find them cheaper on different websites though.. Many different colors and patterns..different sizes..

Yes, they are expensive, but when it comes to anything you are going to put on your horse..You get what you pay for. If you buy cheap products you aren't going to get high quality products and you're more likely to end up with problems and injuries than good..

http://www.rods.com/Sport-Boots.html...FTRe7Aod7SQfYw

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...c-bfc4576c5a0b

http://www.tackroominc.com/images/VE...-Choice-Ve.jpg

sarahkgamble 06-10-2012 05:44 PM

The boots that Drum Runner mentioned are really popular around here. I got a pair of Woof Wear All-Purpose boots for Shamrock. I really like them, they are really easy to clean, they're decent priced, they come in pretty colors, and they're very easy to take on/off.

Another choice that I like are Classic Equine Legacy boots. A girl at my barn who barrel races uses them and they look nice and supportive.

kindraeventing 06-11-2012 02:07 PM

All of the boots mentioned above are fine choices for the uses you suggested, especially running barrels. People that use polos in things like speed events just make me cringe. If a polo came undone that could be incredibly bad.

I can second Woof boots. They're cheap, easy to clean, and protect reasonably well. However I understand those are used more around the eventing world and not so much by western riders.

sarahkgamble 06-11-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindraeventing (Post 1542428)
People that use polos in things like speed events just make me cringe. If a polo came undone that could be incredibly bad.

Yes, when considering whether to buy polos or boots, I decided on boots because of the horror stories I heard of about polos coming undone. I bought boots because I was starting jumping my horse, and someone I know told me about one time when a girl was jumping in a show with polos on her horse and one came undone and the horse stepped on it, causing the rest to tighten on the horse's leg and caused major problems.

chukka 06-14-2012 04:20 PM

As a polo player, I can say that polos are fine as long as people know HOW to put them on correctly. Additionally, I always keep rolls of electric tape in my tack lockers (comes in handy all the time!!) and just putting a strip of tape over the velcro of your polo wrap practically guarantees that you'll be fine.

Horsecccrazy 06-14-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chukka (Post 1548168)
As a polo player, I can say that polos are fine as long as people know HOW to put them on correctly. Additionally, I always keep rolls of electric tape in my tack lockers (comes in handy all the time!!) and just putting a strip of tape over the velcro of your polo wrap practically guarantees that you'll be fine.

That's so funny! We do that with our socks for soccer so our shin guards stay on! That stuff is magic!
Posted via Mobile Device