The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Pasture management to control wild sweet pea (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/pasture-management-control-wild-sweet-pea-126575/)

freia 06-10-2012 07:42 PM

Pasture management to control wild sweet pea

We just purchased the neighboring property. It's beautiful land. We have a bout 3 acres of woodland, and the remaining 2 acres are a fertile, lush, gently sloping pasture (potential). The grasses are growing from knee-height to above my head right now.

However... Everywhere I look, there's sweet pea. It's not so much in clumps that can easily be sprayed or pulled. There's just one here and there. I'd say one about every 8 sqft, intertwined with the grasses.

how do I get rid of it? I'm not necessarily looking for an immediate fix. I want it to become a good pasture over the next 2 years or so. There are no animals there now (except deer and bunnies).

Spray spray spray?
till it all under and plant pasture grass?
what else?

I'm NOT hand-pulling it.

Cruiser 06-11-2012 08:22 AM

Mow it off, if it grows tall, let it get so tall until it tries to bloom than mow it off again. When it tries to bloom it has to be a lot of energy into it, so if it is mowed it takes more and more out of the plant to grow, to bloom again. Grass deals with being mowed a lot better than a lot of weeds.

Or get someone to fence it off for goats for a while to eat it all down, they'll probably kill all off for you and the grass would grow back nicely. I don't know about where you live but lots of people here rent large fields for cows and other livestock, and offend fence it off for themselves. Plus it fertilizes your field.

freia 06-11-2012 11:10 AM

Thank you! We have a brush-hog for the tractor, so that should be easy to do. I'll just keep an eye on it and whack it all off a couple times a year.

Cruiser 06-11-2012 11:20 AM

Sounds good, lucky you, all I have is a brush mower that you have to push! Mow it every time the sweetpeas (or any major weeds) look like they are almost ready to bloom, and you'll have a great pasture in no time.