The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiff leg?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FoxyRoxy1507 
#1 ·
Today as I was doing some games with Sonny I noticed that his front left leg was off. I asked the lady that was feeding the horses to take a look at him and see waht she thought, and she agreed that his leg was stiff and was kinda jerky in movement. I stretched the leg abit and had him trot over some ground poles...then we gave him just one tablet of bute for the pain (if any).

If his leg is still stiff by Tuesday, what should I do? From what I understood he was galloping, bucking, cowhopping and rearing in the field last night so I think that explains the stiffness.
But he himself was kinda off. Usually his canter is really fast, but when we picked up that lead (the left lead...going counter-clockwise) it was fairly slow...and same with the other, but not as slow as the left lead was.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
If his leg is still stiff by Tuesday, should I call the vet? More bute?
I definately won't ride him if he's stiff on Tuesday

#2 ·
soak his leg in warm water and epsom salt. also try putting ice on his leg and wrapping it for an hr. my horse did the same thing and he had just pulled a muscle.

#3 ·
I'll try that if he's still stiff next time I see him (either Monday or Tuesday depending on weather).
But would that work though? I mean there is no heat in the leg at all...so wouldn't it be better to heat the leg? Isn't that was helps stiff muscles?

#4 ·
Stiffness could be related to arthritis, trauma to joints or tendons, etc. (There really isn't muscle in the leg below the knee.)

Without bute, work him lightly and see if the stiffness improves. If it does, then it's likely a bit of arthritis. If it does not then you should confine him and have your vet out for an exam to see what is causing the problem.

#5 ·
SonnyWimps said:
I'll try that if he's still stiff next time I see him (either Monday or Tuesday depending on weather).
But would that work though? I mean there is no heat in the leg at all...so wouldn't it be better to heat the leg? Isn't that was helps stiff muscles?
sometimes just like with people if you heat the leg then ice it, it helps with the stiffness or soreness that might be built up. some of our performance horses would get stiff like that and we used to soak them then ice them for at least a half hr and they would feel better after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.