The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Cowboy boots for riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/cowboy-boots-riding-126590/)

BDNChorses 06-10-2012 11:50 PM

Cowboy boots for riding

Hello,

I have a question about boots for riding.

I've had a fair amount of experience taking care of horses since I was in middle school (I volunteered at a riding center), but I didn't really get to ride them much.

Now (I'm 23), I've been riding at a horse barn in my town and I think I need some different boots.

I have several pairs of cowboy boots, but they're not really good for riding, I don't think.

One is my Justin workboots which have a really thick rubbery sole that I think would get stuck in the stirrup, and they're hefty so I can't really "feel" with them either.

My other pairs are more dress/casual cowboy boots, like some ostrich Justin AQHA remudas (which fit really really good, and I've worn them a couple of times riding, but I prefer to keep them in better shape), or an older pair of Tony Lama ropers.

Anyway, I am looking for a boot that would make a good working/riding boot for reining, stock horse competition and working on a ranch.

I was thinking a riding/walking heel might be better than a flat roper, and would give me something different than what I already have.

I hear good things about Twisted X boots, and a lot of my friends that work on ranches wear them, but they're made in China! I guess I'm kind of picky, but I have only ever worn USA-made boots.

If anybody has any suggestions for a good boot for riding/working on horseback, please let me know! I would prefer American-made, but any suggestions are welcome.

I was checking out Double H's buckaroo style. They looked good.

And I'm also having trouble deciding between leather/rubber sole. I don't want a real thick rubber sole that would get caught in a stirrup, but on the other hand some rubber tread is better when mucking around in the mud/manure so it doesn't soak into the sole.

Thanks!

(P.S. I tried doing a search for this question, but only found threads about horse boots. If you know of a similar thread, please direct me ! Thanks.)

DrumRunner 06-10-2012 11:57 PM

Go buy a pair of Ariats..It will be one of the best boot buying decisions of your life. It is my absolute fair boot brand ever..though I do have a pair of Rocky's right now that I'm stuck on..

Do NOT buy the Fat Baby line to ride in..I'm just not a fan of those at all.

Ariat International

I just added this link to show you their main site but you can find Ariat boots on so many different websites and in different price ranges.

I had this pair for years and they wore great.
http://www.ariat.com/Western/Women/F...WN_OILED_ROWDY

smrobs 06-11-2012 12:05 AM

First off, howdy and welcome to the forum :D.

Pretty much any boot that is labeled "roper" will be perfectly fine to ride in. Personally, I am a huge fan of Ariats as they are the only boots I've ever found that didn't just kill my feet.

Beyond just making sure that it has adequate heel and a thin, slick sole (either rubber or leather), everything else is a matter of preference and style.

I had a pair of these for years and years before the leather body of them finally wore out. They fit okay but they were always a bit narrow.
Professional Heritage Stockman - Ariat

I've always had difficulty finding boots in women's sizes to fit me and be comfortable because my feet are really wide and blocky. My brother turned me on to square toed boots and I'll never go back now. I've had a pair of these and been wearing them daily for over 2 years now. They are still in perfect condition except for the wear and tear of what I put them through riding through brush and walking through rubble and such. There are a few scratches and a couple of fairly deep cuts but that's it. Mine is in the Badlands Brown color.
Professional Quickdraw 11" - Ariat

BDNChorses 06-11-2012 12:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention I'm a guy lol.

I am a fan of square toe as well. I got my first squares in January, and they are by far my favorite.

They're the ostrich AQHA Remudas, which I have been riding in the last two times, I just think they're too much of a dress boot to keep doing that.

These are the ones I'm considering, even though they're made in Mexico:

Justin Boots FFA 2551 SORREL APACHE

or these Double Hs:

http://www.doublehboots.com/item.asp...H2602&CatID=61

They look sturdy enough for when I'm working at our farm or on my friend's ranch, but also have a good heel and slick sole for riding.

Also, I didn't know if I needed to make sure there was enough ledge for a spur? I don't use spurs right now, but if I do in the future, I'd like my boot to work with them.

loveduffy 06-11-2012 12:22 AM

welcome to the forum and I have a pair of Ariats cowboy boot and they work the best for me I am a guy also just so you know :-P

shmurmer4 06-11-2012 12:42 AM

I love Ariats, except I've move away from leather soles because I have to replace them quite often.

Joe4d 06-11-2012 07:33 AM

I hate most western boots. They all leak and get your feet wet from walking in wet grass. Be advised ariats tend to run narrow. They are also made in China. Justin has a pretty good line of USA made boots.

PintoTess 06-11-2012 07:37 AM

Im a girl and I wear the Ariat Heritage Ropers. Theyre very comfy and they make them for guys as well. I would never have any thing else (but my pink high top cowgirl boots but thats past the point!)

Mason72 06-11-2012 01:48 PM

for comfort I ride in Ropers.

Paintlover1965 06-11-2012 01:55 PM

I have tried many different English riding boots and have always loved the Ariat brand. So, when I decided to buy Western boots, I without hesitation bought the Ariat Western boots. They are so comfortable, they already have that broken-in feel when new. They work well for me and I usually have trouble with new shoes/boots during the breaking-in period. Good luck shopping!