The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   TWH new and old style (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/twh-new-old-style-126640/)

Wallee 06-11-2012 11:03 AM

TWH new and old style

I have noticed that within the TWH breed you can find anything from really small slim walkers to very large stocky walkers. Seems to me like the larger stocky type walkers are becoming the old style and the new ones I am seeing everywhere are all these small slim bodied ones, anyone else notice this? What do you think about it? I personally find a larger, more stock type to be more appealing.

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-11-2012 11:14 AM

You are correct; the newer types, correct me if I am wrong, are influenced by breeds such as the Saddlebreds. They are meant to be "showier", IMO. You can see that in the Morgans, too. Our neighbor has a very old-fashioned TWH who looks more like a Morgan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallee 06-11-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly_Horse_CMT (Post 1542107)
You are correct; the newer types, correct me if I am wrong, are influenced by breeds such as the Saddlebreds. They are meant to be "showier", IMO. You can see that in the Morgans, too. Our neighbor has a very old-fashioned TWH who looks more like a Morgan.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you hit the nail on the head! Showier is exactly what they are breeding for. I don't like the new style walker nearly as much as the old morganish types. I have looked at some morgans and they seem like the older type walkers to me as well! I hate how they are breeding these smaller slim walkers. I would like to see the larger bodied ones make a comeback.

Jolly Badger 06-11-2012 11:44 AM

My SO's two geldings are larger, heavier TWHs. One is pushing 17hh and quite wide, the other is about 16hh and also a heft build. My little black gelding is not as tall, but he does have a wider build and that's the look I prefer.

Wallee 06-11-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolly badger (Post 1542151)
my so's two geldings are larger, heavier twhs. One is pushing 17hh and quite wide, the other is about 16hh and also a heft build. My little black gelding is not as tall, but he does have a wider build and that's the look i prefer.

pics!!!

FlyGap 06-11-2012 12:03 PM

Glad to hear I'm not crazy, or at least my perspective wasn't so terribly skewed as a child!
My uncle and great uncle used to have ranches next to each other. Foundation bred bulldog qh's on the right, mammoth tank TWH's on the left! I remember riding the fences with my uncle and having to hold on for dear life to my tiny black Arab when we went by the greats place. I was scared to death of his horses, they made my uncles 15hh 1,500 lb. Qh Look like a pony. Their chests were three times as wide as me and their super long necks were like snakes. Ready to snatch me or any kid for that matter over the fence. I was terrified and amazed by the stud, he was a bold chestnut and the only word to call him was AMAZING.

When I was horse shopping last year I looked at a few and thought I was going nuts! These wernt the giants I remembered! They were tall but had narrow chests, slender builds, and some with incredibly ugly heads. Not my cup of tea. After seeing the other thread I see what I remembered, glad a few are still out there! You are right!
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 06-11-2012 12:10 PM

thats the show breeders ruining the breed to look good at a show with zero regard to ride quality. Or really anything else.

Hey breed what you want, create a horse to look like anything you want. But call it something else. Lots of this goes on in the horse and dog show world.
I watched the westminster dog show ooh and awww about how great some beagle was,, not a single mention on whether or not it could find a rabbit.

Wallee 06-11-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGap (Post 1542185)
Glad to hear I'm not crazy, or at least my perspective wasn't so terribly skewed as a child!
My uncle and great uncle used to have ranches next to each other. Foundation bred bulldog qh's on the right, mammoth tank TWH's on the left! I remember riding the fences with my uncle and having to hold on for dear life to my tiny black Arab when we went by the greats place. I was scared to death of his horses, they made my uncles 15hh 1,500 lb. Qh Look like a pony. Their chests were three times as wide as me and their super long necks were like snakes. Ready to snatch me or any kid for that matter over the fence. I was terrified and amazed by the stud, he was a bold chestnut and the only word to call him was AMAZING.

When I was horse shopping last year I looked at a few and thought I was going nuts! These wernt the giants I remembered! They were tall but had narrow chests, slender builds, and some with incredibly ugly heads. Not my cup of tea. After seeing the other thread I see what I remembered, glad a few are still out there! You are right!
Posted via Mobile Device

I am going to scour the net and find some pics of the older styles and then the new ones, if anyone else has pics post them! I totally agree with you thought on how big they use to be and how it seems as if the are being bred to downsize. It makes me mad! And Joe your right, seems like no one is breeding for their "Job" anymore.

Faceman 06-11-2012 01:14 PM

Well if you want old, here is our Tennessee Walker in 1957, which would be 55 years ago. Pay no attention to me on the right, but my little sister is on the TWH on the left. Obviously tall, obviously stout, and rode like a rocking chair...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...sterofFace.jpg

Paintlover1965 06-11-2012 01:20 PM

Love those pics Faceman. What a solidly built horse. I'm sure your TWH was great on the trail. What a nice coat pattern to boot.