The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   FAST canter! SLOW DOWN! help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/fast-canter-slow-down-help-12673/)

HorsesAreForever 08-03-2008 06:22 PM

FAST canter! SLOW DOWN! help!

Well I finally got chances trot nice and slow very comfortable to sit even bareback lol.

Now we've moved up to a canter and its soo speedy almost a gallop! When we canter jumps i barely have time to get into position! We were jumping about 2ft7in and the first time it was great! She used her hind nicely! But the second time cantering over it I ended up basicly going on a neck ride!

so Im gonna lay off the jumping till i can get a nice collected canter! that i can jump with her easily with out getting nervous shes gonna gallop after!

I dont lunge her anymore because that gets her to tired before we ride.

The way i got her to slow down her trot I would pull bac release pull back release. Worked wonders if i pulled back when i sat and released when i rised!

Do you think that might work??? Any other ideas??

ive tried doing the spiraling circles to get her slow down but she rushes that sometimes aswell.

I really want to canter her over the jumps but its kinda dangerous for me because i cant quite get balenced before we go over. So I've just been trotting her over the 2ft + jumps which even then she ends up cantering 3 strides before.

So im gonna lay off the jumps and work on flat work and her canter but i need help from you guys!

thanks so much! *gives everyone a thank you balloon!*

Harlee rides horses 08-03-2008 06:27 PM

Half halts!
Also every time you are asking for the canter, gather them up, and then ask for it and then half halt as soon as they pick it up to get them automatically gathered up.

HorsesAreForever 08-03-2008 06:32 PM

usually i gather up my reins before i ask then try and pull back some and she kinda pulls.

It will probably take some work.

more advice wanted/needed!

Pinto Pony 08-03-2008 07:24 PM

Really use your seat as well as your hands when you apply the half halt, you will feel like you are leaning back slightly, moving your weight onto the back legs and your horse should collect/engage more in his back legs.

When cantering in a 60 by 20 arena use the corners to collect the canter or 20 metre circles. Sometimes if the problem is your horse has problems balancing at the canter they speed up so short canters and lots of trot/canter and canter/trot transitions to get balance established before long periods of canter. Build it up slowly, maybe start with just a half circle of canter, not giving your horse the chance to move into a gallop.

Hope that makes sense!

jeddah31 08-03-2008 07:52 PM

block her movement with your seat. So generally to canter you relax your hips and follow through with the movement wel block the movement by not allowing so much with your hips, but keep your legs on so she doesnt stop cantering.
Once she's relaxed and steadied, begin to follow again with your hips, if she rushes again, block it again

HorsesAreForever 08-03-2008 08:21 PM

jeddah im not quite getting what you mean..

ill do a lot of transitions with trot and canter. and ill try the 20meter circles.

ill start out slow. thanks guys! Im still taking more advice :D

Arrow 08-03-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddah31
block her movement with your seat. So generally to canter you relax your hips and follow through with the movement wel block the movement by not allowing so much with your hips, but keep your legs on so she doesnt stop cantering.
Once she's relaxed and steadied, begin to follow again with your hips, if she rushes again, block it again

I've never found a good way to explain this--I like it! It's my standard answer, but not so well explained. Resist with your seat.

Also transitions--for awhile, only canter for few strides, then back to a walk or trot. Make the horse think that cantering will lead to something else very quickly, so go slowly and wait for it.

HorsesAreForever 08-03-2008 08:55 PM

arrow thats a great idea ill deff try that!

resist with your seat nice and simple lol I think i understand it though. thanks lol

Arrow 08-03-2008 09:00 PM

You do the exact same motion you do to follow the canter with your seat, but you slow it down--as a general rule, they'll slow down to match you.

Be sure to let us know how all this advice works out--it's a good thread!

HorsesAreForever 08-04-2008 12:02 PM

i will let you know! I wont be doing any cantering today with her cause she needs at least a day off from work lol :P Most likely ill be doing some cantering on tuesday! ill keep you guys informed!