The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training Yearlings? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-yearlings-126751/)

iamanequestrian 06-12-2012 07:26 AM

Training Yearlings?

Hello, I was asked to train a 11 month old gelding. He was gelded about 1 1/2 weeks ago. He is a TB/Paint and he has energy!

His worst habits are nipping, not biting yet and he kicks out with his front hooves sometimes.

He already picks up all his feet and ties pretty well ad backs even better than he walks forward - maybe not a good thing when it's riding time. I would like to start lunging him.

I am training him no matter what because I work for his owner. I don't think I am completely qualified, but I know I can do it. I have trained several horses, just none quite this young. I have been working with him since he was 6 1/2 months old.

What I am asking for here are simply tips and concerns.

Thank you! :)

Kayty 06-12-2012 08:04 AM

At 11 months old, all he needs is to either be put out in a paddock with a bunch of other horses to teach him some manners, and to be bought in now and then to refresh his basic handling skills - so not allowing any biting, nipping etc.
Please don't lunge him. He is far too young. As a yearling the most I did work wise was sending him out on a circle around me for no more than a lap or too, as a ground work exercise, sending him out of my space, and getting him to turn around, stop etc. from my body language. True lunging is a very big no-no.

gothicangel69 06-12-2012 09:14 AM

Sorry, double post.

gothicangel69 06-12-2012 09:18 AM

I would definately not be lunging yet. I usually wait until 3 to start lunging as I don't want to damage joints. Its never too early to desensitize though. I would be getting him used to getting on the trailer, plastic bags, tarps, cars, etc. This will make your job much easier when the time comes to saddle break. I would also work on giving to pressure, yeilding shoulders and hindend, etc.
It is a good idea to keep the sessions very short though as at that age their attention span is limited. I would say one or two 10 min sessions a day at the most would be good.
Remember to let him be a horse- they learn valuable lessons by being in a herd. A lead mare would never tolerate biting or kicking and will quickly put him in his place. You need to be the lead mare as well- this is an important time in his development, and he needs to understand that nipping and kicking is not acceptable. Be firm, but fair.
Posted via Mobile Device

iamanequestrian 06-12-2012 09:26 AM

Well, I won't lunge him yet! I said I would like to, so what can I do to prepare him for lunging when the time comes? Thats all. Don't worry guys I don't try anything without a professional telling me that it is okay.

Peppy Barrel Racing 06-12-2012 01:18 PM

My lil jet is an 11 month old and I've have been messing with him well ever since I could. What I do is densensitize him like with bags, noisy stuff, trailer trained him, put saddle pads on him, put my extremely light nylon saddle on him. Didn't rig him up just sat it on his back. I take him to rodeos with me when I have the room. I let him see all the noise, people, music, horses. Tying up training (highly recommend a rope halter for this and other training exercises). Rope haters are excellent training tools they teach to give to pressure plus they are safer. Only ground work I do is touching him and asking him to back or step over basic giving to pressure skills. And basically I just take him out daily and sometime I just pet and rub and love him. As for the nipping right now it is the age they are at. Put him in with horses and usually they curb the nipping or an effective way is I don't hit horses when they nip me I grab their upper lip and twist it when they try to bite. Its unconfortable to the horse and they remember, I had a mare who used to bite people and thats how I got her to quit. And a firm no or whatever u say when u tell them u don't want them to do something. I never hit horses in the face. Anyways good luck with the baby!

oh vair oh 06-12-2012 01:25 PM

nevermind, I'm not even going to go into yearling lungeline events, lol...

I would suggest starting him on the natural horsemanship ground training, respect, and desensitization programs. The 7 games are a great starting point.

verona1016 06-12-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1544175)
I don't hit horses when they nip me I grab their upper lip and twist it when they try to bite. Its unconfortable to the horse and they remember

I'll have to remember that trick!

Peppy Barrel Racing 06-12-2012 10:53 PM

It works!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayty 06-12-2012 11:07 PM

You'd have to have lightening quick reflexes to grab and twist a horse's nose as soon as they go to bite!! They tend to get wise to it and bite, then throw their head up - even going to smack them tends to not be quick enough when they pull that stunt.
I prefer to get them in the nose with an elbow, don't chase the horse with your hand to hit it or grab it - they go to bite, and their action hits your elbow - they learn pretty quickly that it's not pleasant reaching around the bite you.