The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   affordable attire suggestions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/affordable-attire-suggestions-126772/)

farmpony84 06-12-2012 11:25 AM

affordable attire suggestions

I don't do showmanship, I do go into halter but I only wear a pair of jeans and a blouse. I have rail shirts but nothing even close to what the showmanship folks where.

Riley and I have really had some issues on the ground so I have been doing a lot of work with him to gain his respect and to gain my confidence. It's hard because at home he is a pure gentleman, he doesn't act up until the first day of a show. (It's adrenaline and nerves).

Anyway, we don't have the turn on the hindquarter down but we do have a nice jog, square halt, and a back so I thought I'd try my hand at the Rookie division in July. I dont' want to buy an outfit because I don't know if I'll have command enough on ground attention from him to get a competetive turn on the hind quarter.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could wear that would pass for an AQHA show. Truthfully, most of what I have seen have been the outfits that cost several hundred dollars but any "cheap" suggestions would be appreciated.

Ink 06-12-2012 11:37 AM

The last paint horse show I went to there was a girl competing in halter wearing khaki pants, blazer, white button down shirt and colorful scarf. It wasn't very flashy but she looked really sharp and professional. Those things are all pretty inexpensive if you don't already have them in your closet.

farmpony84 06-12-2012 11:38 AM

In halter yes, but I don't think I could get away with that in showmanship. Although, what if I bought a suit from the clearance rack at JC Penneys and then blinged it out?

DancingArabian 06-12-2012 11:42 AM

Check your local Goodwill. You may find things you can alter.
The Goodwill near me me has 50% of clothes on Sundays.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ink 06-12-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1544038)
In halter yes, but I don't think I could get away with that in showmanship. Although, what if I bought a suit from the clearance rack at JC Penneys and then blinged it out?

Yeah if you bling it up some that would be good. I have one of those hot fix rhinestone setters at home they are great! I got mine at overstock.com for like $12. Just keep in mind fixing all those crystals is very time consuming.

farmpony84 06-12-2012 12:34 PM

The hot gun thing would be better than a bedazzler right? (even though it would take longer?)

GoAppendix 06-12-2012 12:42 PM

You don't need rhinestones. Do guys wear rhinestone suits?

Get a well-shaped hat and a well-fitted suit. Your performance is much more likely to make or break you than whether or not you stick rhinestones on something.

Saddlebag 06-12-2012 09:31 PM

No blue denim jeans. On a budget what can look nice is a white longsleeved blouse, then wear a close fitting (not tight) sweater that matches your pants. Boots should match pants also. Hat can match white blouse for summer. Many wear suits in showmanship but the sweater will create the same look. A V neck always looks nice. Be sure your hat is tipped neither forward not back but when your head is looking straight ahead, the bottom edge of the had is parallel to the ground. Long hair in a chignon with a matching hairnet to help contain strays. It sits just under the brim off your neck. No pigtail as it flops when you run - very distracting.

GoAppendix 06-12-2012 09:36 PM

I would absolutely not wear a sweater to an AQHA show. You need a jacket.

spurstop 06-12-2012 09:58 PM

No sweater for showmanship.

You can get a well cut suit, a nice shirt, and a scarf and do just fine. It's coming in style now.