The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Favourite thing about forums... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/favourite-thing-about-forums-126781/)

RunSlideStop 06-12-2012 12:50 PM

Favourite thing about forums...

In light of reading some pretty horrific (see: users being overly critical, OPs having no clue about what they are doing with 3 stallions and a 2 year old child in a round pen together {just kidding on that}) threads, I thought I would ask what your favourite part of forums, or the HF if you want to be specific, is.

My personal favourite thing about forums is my opportunity to practice patience. Something I lack a lot of. If I lose my patience, I have a visual reminder (and many people) to set me straight.

How bout you?

Allison Finch 06-13-2012 12:08 PM

I exercise a lot of restraint for a very good reason. I don't hide behind the anonymity of a fake username. I post under my name and am willing to be held accountable for anything I say. It requires me to watch what I say and how I say it.

I love forums for the exchange of information it offers. I dislike them for the way people hide behind usernames to behave in a rude and uncivilized way. Something they would never do face to face.

gigem88 06-13-2012 12:13 PM

I like the exchange of ideas and seeing other people's horses. After reading some rather bizarre training/feeding/riding methods, realizing I know more than I thought I did!

tinyliny 06-13-2012 12:26 PM

I just love the humor that is posted. Some truly funny people reside here. You know, on the "Funny Farm".

Speed Racer 06-13-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1545820)
I post under my name and am willing to be held accountable for anything I say.

Get a crazy stalker and maybe you won't think a user name is such a bad idea, Allison. Not all of us are LEOs, you know. :wink:

Besides, I'll tell you to your face what I post on the forums. Neither my advice nor tone change based on the medium. I know not everyone acts the same in person as behind a keyboard, though.

AnalisaParalyzer 06-13-2012 01:19 PM

I enjoy the advice and support you get. Its nice to know that some one who may not even know you will hear your thoughts and positively reinforce or critique or teach you without any harsh treatment.
It sucks that every once in a while you end up with a bad egg who can't help but to be harsh, rude, judgmental or just flat out mean.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 06-13-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1545882)
Besides, I'll tell you to your face what I post on the forums.

How do we know that, SR, if you are anonymous?! :rofl:

I had a bad experience with real (not Internet I'd care less) stalkers in past, so I prefer not to disclose my full name (although I have no problem sharing it with those I know, even though know just through the Internet :wink: ).

As for "lessons" - the best way to deal with forums (any forums) is not taking other people posts too personally. If I disagree or wrong I have no problem saying so. Taking what others say too personally is too stressful (in real life too).

Speed Racer 06-13-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1546130)
How do we know that, SR, if you are anonymous?! :rofl:

You'll just have to trust me, Val. You do trust me, don't you? :twisted:

Seriously though, I always sign PMs with my real first name.

I'll also own my mistakes and stupidities. I don't try to rewrite history or deflect a well deserved slap.

Gallop On 06-13-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1546137)
Seriously though, I always sign PMs with my real first name.

Tehe, maybe I'll have to shoot you a PM to find out your real name :wink:

This forum is simply amazing... It has truly helped tons with the training of my horse, and it always proves a very encouraging source. I have been on quite a few other horse forums, and none of them match this... (Okay, okay, its not bash the other forums time... ): I like being able to talk to other horse enthusiastics, of all different ages, and styles, and levels, and read their advice. I personally have never found anyone on here I truly dispise, as... I refuse to dispise someone I dont know :P Thank you, the creator of this Horse Forum! Thank you very much.

Speed Racer 06-13-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallop On (Post 1546175)
Tehe, maybe I'll have to shoot you a PM to find out your real name :wink:

My 'real life' name is Susan. We have several on the board, so it can get a little confusing. :wink: