The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Any Reiners here? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/any-reiners-here-126806/)

DoubleS 06-12-2012 04:35 PM

Any Reiners here?

Hi! I'm just getting into reining and I love it. Is there anyone on here that reins too? How good are you? (haha kind of a shallow question, but I mean it in the politest way.) I'm just learning how to spin on my trainers finished horse, then once I get the hang of it, I'm hopefully getting my pony trained for reining too!
What about you? I wanna see some of your reining horses :)

nrhareiner 06-14-2012 08:29 PM

Been breeding and showing reining horses for over 15 years now. I own horses by some of the top sires in the industry and horses who have finished in the top 30 in the world.

It is a fun sport and a lot of great people. Go enjoy and have fun.

BarrelBunny 06-16-2012 12:05 AM

I would LOVE to try it! I've always wanted to do a reining freestyle. :D good luck!!

Radiowaves 06-16-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleS (Post 1544452)
Hi! I'm just getting into reining and I love it. Is there anyone on here that reins too? How good are you? (haha kind of a shallow question, but I mean it in the politest way.) I'm just learning how to spin on my trainers finished horse, then once I get the hang of it, I'm hopefully getting my pony trained for reining too!
What about you? I wanna see some of your reining horses :)

I rode in reining events back in the early 60s, before the NRHA was founded. What we did was very similar, just not as aggressive. (Pivots instead of spins, not as many slides, etc)

Lots of fun and quite a rush when your horse really does it well... :-)

My main horse (now) is a very accomplished reiner but we don't do too much of it these days. Mainly trail rides. He likes this life just fine...
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-21-2012 03:00 PM

I do!! =D out of everything I've dabbled in (jumping, hunters, dressage, gaming, cows) reining is my favorite. My mare was had not reined in a long time when my barn got her. They almost sold her because she likes her job *to much*. Lead changes all the time, pick up speed like she is going in for a slide and tries to spin whenever she gets a chance. Needless to say NOT good for a lesson horse. I retrained her out of that and now that she is a little more savvy about when its appropriate to do these things I'll get on and let her show her stuff and keep her skills sharp.

About a year ago I found my trainer. I wish I could be more consistent with lessons but being in nursing school I don't have a boat load of money or time. I also bought a new car this summer so there goes my lessons all spring/summer and my local shows =\ I can complete/ask for/sit to all maneuvers decently but not 100% perfect/consistent yet. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the laughing stock of a show and I think I would have a fair chance of placing in a beginner or green class!
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 06-21-2012 03:25 PM

I don't show or anything, but I'm taking reining lessons to better my riding abilities on a trainer's horse, and its absolutely thrilling! If I had the time and money, I'd absolutely try reining competitively.

COWCHICK77 06-21-2012 03:53 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I used to start colts for a few reining, cutting and cowhorse trainers. I would put a couple of months on them before they got handed over to the trainer.

A few years back I bought a colt. Top Sail Cody grandson, foundation Cutter Bill bred on the bottom. Had all the intentions of training and showing him. I started him late, then he had almost a year off due to running through barbed wire. Everytime I start getting serious, something happens...my bubblewrap horse...
I plan to do more cowhorse than reining though, he really shines in the cow work.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAsamone 06-21-2012 04:28 PM

I love to watch it and would love to get involved! It incorporates the necessity of control with the thrill and flash of the not-so-common "commands" like slides and spins. I want to get involved, but my horses are currently too old, with the exception of my paint colt- but he's not ready to backed yet.

EquineCookies 07-02-2012 09:15 AM

I've always been fascinated by reining and I'm going to start this fall, when we get a currently-healing reining mare owned by my coach started up again. This mare just happens to be a champion and qualified for the WEG (but didn't make it in), so i consider myself quite lucky to learn on her! My coach breeds reining-bred Quarter Horses in addition to her Arabs so I'm easily able to get some information soaked up before the fall :)
Posted via Mobile Device

KarrotKreek 07-02-2012 11:39 AM

Just thought I'd toss my hat in the ring here. I have a nice reining mare who is far more advanced than me. I was (and still do) ride English (dressage,hunter/jumper) with my other horse. It's been a fun transition over to western and reining. Good fundamentals in riding tend to cross over no matter your discipline.