The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Craziest thing you ever saw at a show... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/craziest-thing-you-ever-saw-show-126836/)

SlideStop 06-12-2012 09:07 PM

Craziest thing you ever saw at a show...

Please share your stories if anything made you go O.O at any kind of show. Could include riding, handling, over horsed, etc..

Here is mine from the weekend:

My friend is warming up her mustang in warm up ring at a gymkhana shows. I'm pretty focused on her and I see another older lady on a larger QH come in. As I watch her come in its apparent she is a beginner. The one compliment I can give her is that her horse is a SAINT and is obviously the perfect match for her antics. The saddle is sitting in front of the saddle almost two inches. She is riding in a tom thumb bit.... With the reins on the ring the curb strap goes on. O.o... As she was coming around cooling her horse off after cantering him on the wrong lead I noticed her was visibly loose. I don't know how this didn't end badly, I credit the horse.

To top it off her friend come in on horse she can't control. Literally RAMMED the back of my friend and had a few near missed 3 or 4 time.

Sooo let's hear yours!!
Posted via Mobile Device

princecharming 06-12-2012 09:19 PM

hmm, craziest thing(s) ove seen:
-last show a sawa a girl warm her horse up for TWO HOURS before her dressage test o.O this was at an event and the horse and rider still had to ride the test, warm up for staduim, just a course AND go cross-country..that horse must have been super horse!

-at the same show watch a different lady entered in an 18" division with a horse who cleared each and every standerd(: not so much crazy as hilarious!!

as a disclamer: i have been that crazy person, one dressage judge gave me a 5 because somehow i managed to spin my horse and keep him in the arena after he was in mid jump(two feet off the ground) because she was so impressed! also know as that small girl who bolts through her cross country course trying to compromise the speed with her horse(apparently its weird to try to convince your horse to slow down LOL)

Mckellar 06-13-2012 01:39 PM

Craziest thing hmmm..... A circuit jump warm up rings :D games of chicken which leads to running into each other because no one wants to move, cutting across the ring, not calling jumps, crazy horses with equally crazy riders

Cinder 06-14-2012 08:23 AM

Subbing, I want to see people's crazy stories.

Equenix 06-14-2012 08:34 AM

There was this appy at a show once that suffered from sunburn, so it wore a fly mask all the time. I don't know how good the rider was but any way. They were coming to a jump and the horse lept into the standerd and broke it in half. Not even kidding you!

Iseul 06-14-2012 09:19 AM

Hmm..how many of these can I think of? Hah, I'll put a few out there, I don't have the effort to do type all of them, lol.
-gaming 4h show on Saturday. I was just walking around the mare I'm now leasing, since she isn't ready to actually show yet and entry fees were outrageous if she had no chance. Well, during barrels she was actually being good and not having a buddy sour fit, so I got to watch a man (no one I've ever spoken to likes him; he's an ass, he pushes his son too far, and he's sue-happy) who owns a semi-large boarding/training barn kick the living s**t out of his horse with 3", goose-neck, rowelled spurs. While I know quite a few people do it, you'd think someone would say something during the 4H show; atleast I would think so.
-I went to an open show at North Park on Sunday. We got there a bit late, so we missed barrels, but I ended up showing in stakes, poles, and down&back. I was very excited to watch gambler's choice again, because while I would love to run it, my horse would probably either refuse or stumble over every jump. So, I don't remember who it was that was running at the time, but her horse didn't want to turn for the fourth jump and was running almost perpendicular to the fence beside the jump; she managed to get her horse to spin and pop over that jump as they were originally parallel to it.
-At the 4H show from Saturday (again, forgot about this, lol), there are generally a majority of overly hot horses that need to be dragged, spurred, and whipped just to get in the gate. Well, one girl's horse was NOT having it, at all. So, man (mentioned in the first who owns the barn this horse/girl boards/rides at) tries to grab the mare's reins and walk her to the gate. Well, mare decides that flying backwards would be a good idea, and rethought after she got a few good smacks with the crop. Mare then decides to go up and rear and rethought after getting her face half yanked off. Finally, she decides she wants to go in the arena, just over the fence instead of through the gate; I'm not sure how Man stopped her from jumping over, but he finally got her to the gate and in and she had her run. Now, I'm not saying I disapprove of or that I would do what Man did, I just figured it was kind of shocking for me to see a horse so out of control with what looked to be a 10yr old on it, ya know?

Now, I'm sure I have more..but my arm's cramping. If I think of any really good one's, I'll be back. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 06-14-2012 09:31 AM

Y'all aren't gonna like my story, because it's not funny.

I was at an Arabian breed show, watching the classes. The weanling class was waiting at the gate to go in after the class ahead of it got placed.

One of the foals started flailing around, and threw himself over backward. He broke his neck, and died within seconds.

Found out later that he'd been stung by a wasp or bee, and he simply panicked from the pain.

These animals are so darned fragile. :-(

SlideStop 06-14-2012 09:42 AM

^^Unfortunatly freak things happen =\ could of been my horse, your horse, in a pasture or a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

ThirteenAcres 06-14-2012 12:36 PM

The craziest thing I've ever seen happen was at one of the out of town barrel races we went to. We were standing near the alley and a girl was being led in to the alley by a friend because her horse was so blown up about running through the alley. The horse freaked out, basically threw the girl leading her across the alley, reared up, and then fell over backward atop the girl, thrashing about insanely.

Luckily, neither were severely hurt. It is one of my biggest pet peeves in barrel racing. TRAIN YOUR HORSE TO BE CALM IN THE ALLEY.

BarrelracingArabian 06-14-2012 01:07 PM

One was when i went to an out of town barrel race with my trainer and theres this one girl who os supposedly ' pro'. Her horse is a stellar barrel horse however this girl has to make a huge commotion about getting in the gate, yelling clear the gate yanking on the reins and havin her mother and friend lead in which this horse does not need he was really trying to just get to the arena.
Posted via Mobile Device