The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   rein cues vs. leg cues? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/rein-cues-vs-leg-cues-126854/)

mydaughtersgroom 06-12-2012 10:29 PM

rein cues vs. leg cues?

So my daughter (age 9) for a multitude of reasons takes lessons from two differerent trainers. One trainer comes from an eventing background and seems to emphasize using the reins to move the horse, i.e. if she wants my daughter to keep the horse near the rail she will ask her to use her outside rein and she doesn't seem concerned whether her horse is bending in the corners. The other trainer is from a paint/western background and she wants my daughter to use more leg, i.e. she asks her to use her inside to push her over and to bend her in the corners. So my question is, is this personal preference, discipline preference or one trainer is more right than the other?

Skyseternalangel 06-12-2012 10:50 PM

Honestly you need both. Your hands are important, your legs (and seat) are important.

Since she's beginning, I'm guessing, the eventer probably has trained her horses to follow their nose, aka use the reins to guide them to stay put. Kids' legs are usually not strong so horses don't usually pay mind to them at times.
The other trainer wants to give your daughter a good foundation by using legs and less hand.

Both are right, they're just teaching from different starting points.

There should be a harmony of seat, leg, and hand aids when riding a horse, but that usually is found as they become more advanced since giving seat aids is really confusing when you're still struggling to find balance on a horse, etc.

Hope that helped. I ride English, but have also ridden a little western too :)

Stoddard 06-13-2012 12:09 AM

Agreed with the above. But I'd let your daughter know it's okay to use both if she ever finds using just one s a problem.

KarlaD 03-13-2014 11:44 PM

I agree with the above also. I believe in "blending" your aids and I feel that your hands are the last aid you use actively. So, although I ride English I agree more with your western trainer's perspective. However, with your daughter being 9 I am sure she is not quite ready for more "sophisticated" aids at his point. As long as the eventing trainer emphasizes that your hands should be gentle and not the ONLY aid she uses.

DancingArabian 03-14-2014 12:03 AM

Both, kind of. She should be riding inside leg to outside rein. They might just be going about teaching it to her in their own ways. If one trainer doesn't think her leg is strong enough, that trainer may focus on the rein. If one trainer thinks her hands are still a little wobbly, they may focus more on the leg.

polowrapfiend 03-25-2014 12:24 PM

inside leg, outside rein. you need both.

jaydee 03-25-2014 12:31 PM

If your daughter is riding 'English' then she needs to learn how to use her legs and hands together
I'm surprised that an event rider wouldn't be teaching her that since they have to do a dressage phase.
Maybe you should find one trainer that's experienced in whatever discipline your daughter is aiming at rather than confuse her at this stage with too many conflicting ideas.

smrobs 03-25-2014 03:51 PM

Guys, this thread is almost 2 years old :wink:.