The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Should i keep him a stallion? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/should-i-keep-him-stallion-126886/)

ilostmyzipper 06-13-2012 04:42 AM

Should i keep him a stallion?

1 Attachment(s)
How do i know if i should keep him a stallion? My trainer say's not to bother with a stallion and just geld him. I am going to have him showing in the quarter horse halter and western pleasure shows. He has double registered zippo pine bar and joe reed, san pappy and zippo pine glow in his papers. I had a horse with these blood lines before and he was a wonderful horse. Everyone was disapointed that he was gelded, which was done before i bought him. Should i geld him? I'm just not sure what to do. :? Does anyone have suggestions?

ilostmyzipper 06-13-2012 04:44 AM

I have more pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pictures

oh vair oh 06-13-2012 04:45 AM

Geld him.

It's not just about handling, training, and showing a stallion - but do you have what it takes, as a trainer, to get this horse to win 2 year old futurities, 2 year old slot classes, 2 year old world championships against other open western pleasure AQHA horses? And then, down the line, are you going to be able to spend the money to market this horse to the AQHA journal, online advertisements, websites, etc. And then, are you going to have the facilities to breed and ship semen, train the horse to the dummy, etc?

Chiilaa 06-13-2012 05:33 AM

Why do you want to keep him entire? As in, what specific reasons?

HollyBubbles 06-13-2012 06:19 AM

OMG he's gorgeous!! I love his face and his huge butt! (I have a thing for big bums and shoulders)

But I can't help on the question lol I've never had a stallion.

HagonNag 06-13-2012 08:08 AM

What the horse world needs right now is NOT more stallions....and probably not more horses in general! Unless you are truly committed to campaigning him and carrying out a program of quality breeding, geld him. He's a beautiful little guy with good breeding behind him. There are lots more where he came from. The US does not need more horses.

Have you spoken with breeders lately? Most of them are either cutting back their breeding programs or getting out of the business all together because of all the problems in the horse industry. Too many horses, not enough people who can afford to keep them (and know what they're doing.) Why would you want to add to these problems? Enjoy your gelding.

kitten_Val 06-13-2012 08:11 AM

Unless you have experience handling stallions and have plans for breeding him (and his confo screams "keep me as stud", because just papers is not enough to make a good stud) I'd say geld him. Owning a stallion brings lots of problems you have to deal with (most places don't accept studs, many people don't want to ride with studs, many shows don't allow studs, etc...).

rookie 06-13-2012 08:23 AM

I would say geld him but I don't know much about quarter horse lines. That said most folks who have stallions should not have them in my opinion. I have seen a lot of people who don't understand what a stallion requires. You need stallion fencing, you need a separate stall area for the stallion, you need to know that a stallion is not to be trusted like a gelding or a mare. Then if you have him as a stallion what will you do with any offspring? Is there a market for the offspring? If you breed him and no one buys his offspring where will they live/go? If you don't want to breed him then why keep him a stud and have that hassle of having a stud? He is pretty cute right now and easy to handle. In a few months that could change and he could become one of the challenging to handle stud colts. This is my opinion but like I said I don't know much about quarter horse lines and any horse needs to be AMAZING in order for me to think they should be kept as a stallion.

gigem88 06-13-2012 08:35 AM

Do you plan on keeping him any length of time? Do you plan on showing local or higher? What are your goals? Are you playing at showing (just for fun) or are you serious and want to hit the breed shows? I could go on but I need more coffee! He is cute, it just depends on where you want and can ($$$) take him.

Skyseternalangel 06-13-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilostmyzipper (Post 1545467)
I had a horse with these blood lines before and he was a wonderful horse.

See with or without testicles, you had a wonderful horse! The same will ring true for this guy.

Everyone was disapointed that he was gelded, which was done before i bought him.

The owner of your previous horse was very responsible to geld him, despite letting others down. But seriously, have you seen the amount of horses that are being given away or put in auction or stuffed into a rescue!? It's madness. Better to enjoy a gelding than have a stallion that creates more horses and we have even more of a problem than currently.

Should i geld him?

Yes please!

He's lovely :) He'd make a fantastic gelding when he's all grown up!